cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to restore exchange store to temporary server

Michael_Sovitzk
Level 3
I am working with a client to restore an entire information store from backup to a temporary server to recover some specific mailboxes.

Main server: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3, B/E 9.0 Build 4454, using external Quantum Super DLT Tape drive. This is the server from which the original backup was run on.

Temp server: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3.

I am going through the article from Microsoft at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813337

and am using Method 2.

I am of course stuck at step 12. I am creating a restore job, selecting the date of the information store I want to restore from, selecting Exchange re-direction, putting in the temp server's server name in the 'Restore to server' field, and putting in the temp server's administrator account in the 'Server logon account' field.

Then, I click on the Exchange item, clear the 'No loss restore' checkbox.

When I click Restore, I get this error:

Job ended: Friday, February 11, 2005 at 8:23:53 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000848c HEX
Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors

I believe this has to do with the mess of login accounts. I believe the two places I am probably not inputting correctly is on the Resource Credentials and the Exchange Redirection, Server logon account sections.

I have the main server's administrator account selected on the Resource Credentials section and I have the temp server's domain admin account set in the Exchange Redirection, Server logon account section. Is that right?

Do I need to have specific certain accounts installed and setup on both the main server and the temp server?

Thank you for your help!

Michael
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to give tghe BackupExec service account Exchange Admin rights to the restore system or "connect as" a user with exchange admin rights

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
If you are redirecting the exchange server to a new server, even if only temporarily, you need to make sure it has the same structure as the original one did.

For example, if the original exchange server had three storage groups (called SG1, SG2,SG3) with four mailbox stores each (called MB1, MB2, MB3, MB4 in each storage group) you have to have the exact same setup on the new server.

If the restore is trying to put Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store 1 back in place, but it does not currently exist, it will fail because it cannot attach to it to restore.

Verify the new/temp Exchange server matches identically to the way the first one was setup as far as the exchange organization structure. Also make sure each is set to "This database may be overwritten by a restore"

Michael_Sovitzk
Level 3
Just to clarify,

Do I need to go to the 'temp' server, run the delegate control wizard and add the domain administrator user from the 'main' server to get full exchange rights?

Also, where exactly should I 'connect as' a user with exchange admin rights? Sorry if this is easy, I just don't have a complete grasp yet.

Thank you!

Michael

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Yes, the delegate control wizard should work for you.

When you create a redirected restore job, you will see the field "Server Logon Account". That is the one you will use to connect to the new temp server. Also fill out the "Restore to server field" with the temp server name. You can leave the mailbox info fields blank if you are restoring the whole database, those fields are for individual mailbox restores.

Michael_Sovitzk
Level 3
On the 'temp' server, I confirmed the temp server's admin account is listed as a full exchange admin. However, if I am supposed to add the 'main' server's admin user or the 'main' server's B/E services account, it won't let me because I can't add a user from another active directory domain.

So, how do I tell the 'temp' server's Exchange organization to trust the 'main' server's B/E account so the 'main' server can restore the db to the 'temp' server?

Why is this so complicated?

Also, in the server logon account field, I entered the 'temp' server's admin username.

Thank you for your help!

Michael

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you browse the Backup Selections Pane, find the target server, right click, and select Attach As. Give it the user-id in the form "domain-name\user-id" s[\pecifying the target domain and an Exchange Admin acount from that domain

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Just create a logon account in BE that belongs to the new temp exchange server's domain and has rights to exchange. Use this account in the redirection field. As long as the job is using an account which has full rights, it doesn't matter if the other domain trusts BE's account or not, the job will use the correct logon to attach to the new server.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hi,

This seems to be an issue with rights the Backup Exec Service Account posses on the Exchange Server. Please refer to the following document which explains in detail the rights required for a Service account to connect to an Exchange Server.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/234575

Also note that the usage of Advanced Open File Option could also lead to such problems. Avoid using AOFO during Exchange Backups as it is generally not recommended.

Also the following document would be useful.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/235756

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to the "answered threads" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.