cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to use bemcmd with a robotic library

Ken_N
Level 3

Hello.  I used to have a single Certance LTO2 tape drive that I used with Backup Exec.  It worked fine with my bemcmd scripts.  The drive died, so now I have a Dell PV132T library.  It has two LTO2 drives and a bunch of slots.  It loads tapes automatically. 

Problem is, I cannot seem to figure out how to tell my script which slot to use.  This is what I see in the Devices tab of BE:

-SERVERNAME:

--Robotic Libraries:

---DELL Library:

......DELL 2

......DELL 3

......Slots

My script originally looked like this:

[General]
JOB_TYPE=Backup
JOB_NAME="Backup A01292009-141723_94b2"
SERVER=SERVERNAME

USERNAME=DOMAIN\username
PASSWORD=password

JOB_PRIORITY=HIGHEST
[Backup_Options]
BK_METHOD=0
DEVICE_NAME=CERTANCE 1

OPEN_FILES_METHOD=2
RETENSION_MEDIA=YES
PRESERVE_TREE_ON_ARCHIVE=YES
SINGLE_INSTANCE_FOR_NTFS=YES

Sooo, I changed it to read as follows:

[General]
JOB_TYPE=Backup
JOB_NAME="Backup A01292009-141723_94b2"
SERVER=SERVERNAME

USERNAME=DOMAIN\username
PASSWORD=password

JOB_PRIORITY=HIGHEST
[Backup_Options]
BK_METHOD=0
DEVICE_NAME=DELL 2

OPEN_FILES_METHOD=2
RETENSION_MEDIA=YES
PRESERVE_TREE_ON_ARCHIVE=YES
SINGLE_INSTANCE_FOR_NTFS=YES

Every time I run the script, I get:

"Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives. Final error category: Resource Errors"

I also tried "DELL Library" as the device name to no avail.  I'm assuming it's because I didn't specify which slot to use.   I read the manual, but I can't find any reference as to what to put in the job file to specify that.  I tried adding "SLOT=1" but it didn't like it.

Help!  :)

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you want to point BackupExec to a specific slot, you need to partition the library, and then reference the partition name in the script

But, this raises the question,

Why would you want to manange things via script when the Remote Administration Console is available?

Ken_N
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not familiar with the Remote Admin Console.  The reason I'm using bemcmd scripts is to make queueing up a crapload of files easier.  I don't want to go into the GUI and have to click each folder I want to back up.  There are also folders where I only want certain files done.  I wrote a script that generates a job file that has all the required files to back up, makes it soooo much easier.

If I can accomplish that with the r.a.c. I'll have to do some investigation into it.  

Regarding the partitioning, I'll read the manual about that.  Once I partition it, would you know what I need to add to the script to reference it? I see the part in the manual about creating them with -o135 but that's the only mention I can find of partitions.  Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The reason I'm using bemcmd scripts is to make queueing up a crapload of files easier.

Fair enough.  If you have a lot of one-offs I can see the point.  The RAC looks just like the BE Console, so it won't wokr in your situation

Once the partition defined, just use the PartitionName in the Device statement (I think, I don't use BECMD a lot)