cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable restoring sharepoint content database from FARM2007 to 2010 with SYM12.5 and SYM2010R2

Level 3

This is the scenario:

FARM 2007    SERVER1 Windows 2008 Server x64 (embedded SQL Server 2005) with MOSS2007 and Symantec BE 12.5 Sp3 + Sharepoint Agent

FARM 2010    SERVER2 Windows 2008 Server x64 (embedded SQL Server 2005) with MOSS2010 and Symantec BE 2010R2 Sp1 + Sharepoint Agent

My goal is to move one content database (250GB) from FARM2007 to FARM2010 for purpose of migration..

I got a tape with full farm 2007 backup from SERVER1.

I move this tape to SERVER2 than I start - inventory-catalog.

On SERVER2 I start a new restore job selecting the content DB from MOSS2007-SERVER1 to move it on SERVER2

Attempt 1

flagged Redirect Microsoft Sharepoint sets
Restore Sharepoint database to an alternate SQL instance

Restore to SQL Server    \\SERVER2
Restore to database  \\2010_DB_CONTENT

Sharepoint logon account is administrative on server.

After 3 minutes I receive this error

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. 
Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. 
If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list.
Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Attempt 2

flagged Redirect Microsoft Sharepoint sets
Restore Sharepoint 2003 portal sites or Sharepoint 2007/2010 web application

URL or web application name http://intra2010
Front-end web server name SERVER2

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000847f - The specified Microsoft Sharepoint redirection options do match the selections.
Granular Sharepoint items must be redirected to a file system. SharePoint databases must be redirected to another SharePoint portal or web application.
Final error category: System Errors

My goal is only to move the content database from SERVER1 to SERVER2 for starting the migration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well I do see where you are coming from and maybe someone on these forums has a method to do it, however I don;t thionk it is a scenario that Symantec have done any testing against.so has probably not been desigend into the product.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec is not really designed as a Migration Tool - which in effect is what restoring to a higher version of  a database product is. As such I am not sure that what you are trying to do is supported. You might find the GRT side of the backup and restore process is capable of restoring individual documents but you are not trying to do that.

As a parallel example, restoring an Exchange 2003 Information Store into Exchange 2007 is not supported....

Level 3

I don't want to use Backup Exec as migration tool (absolutely no, it's out this argument), just restoring a content database taken from FARM2007

on a new Server with MOSS2010 (SQL Server 2005 is present on both servers).

Database size is very great (260GB) and moving it trough network 's going more than 12 hours so my purpose was to utilize

a tape backup from MOSS2007 server to re-use to restore content database on new server MOSS2010.

Yes, this case in not documented.

Sharepoint Agent for Backup Exec permit to backup SQL DBs from belong to the Sharepoint Farm.

I want to restore a SQL DBs from a MOSS farm having on source/destination server both sharepoint agent, basically.

In Backup Exec 2010 R2 in restore options appear this feature.

Page 1213 of Administration Manual- Redirecting the restore of a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2010 database to an alternate SQL instance

Page 1230  of Administration Manual- Redirecting the restore of a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 database to an alternate SQL instance

Colin_Weaver

Umm sorry but you are doing a migration as you are changing Sharepoint versions.without doing some form of in-place upgrade

You can redirect a Sharepoint 2007 Database to another Sharepoint 2007 location

You can redirect a Sharepoint 2010 Database to another Sharepoint 2010 location

Both of these are what the admin guides refer to.

Admitedly your backend SQL databases appear to be the same version - but the farm itself will have a completely different schema

Level 3

Thanks Colin,

for me it would be good restoring content db from farm 2007 to the new SQL Server located on new farm 2010 moving tape from old - to new. .

Attaching the restored 2007 content database to a 2010 farm web application to have the schema upgraded would have been only my work :)

an action done by me not from Symantec BE.

Just "I take the sql database present on backup tape from 2007 FARM and i restore as sql database on sql server of my 2010 farm."

Both servers Symantec BE licensed with sharepoint agent.

I know with a "sql server agent" this can be done but sharepoint agent do this work , in spite o f exclusively for sharepoint sql db.

Redirect a Sharepoint 2010 Database to another SQL instance for me simply means "restore sql content db"  without interact directly with sharepoint structure-  no other actions.

Colin_Weaver

Well I do see where you are coming from and maybe someone on these forums has a method to do it, however I don;t thionk it is a scenario that Symantec have done any testing against.so has probably not been desigend into the product.