cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Backup to Intel NAS device

GregC2
Level 4
I have a strange problem and I think I know the answer.

1. I have an Intel NAS SS4000e.
2. I am unable to create a device backup to disk folder in BE 10d due to what I believe is a lack of Windows emulation from the Intel NAS device. However I can create a backup to disk folder on an attached USB drive, so there doesn't appear to be a problem with 10d itself.
3. Since this doesn't work, I decided to use the Windows Backup, which is also made by Veritas. This backup program works fine to the Intel NAS, however I won't have email confirmations.

Is there any workaround or reason why one backup program fails and another works from the same company?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Check this out, doesn't solve your problem but may give you some pointers.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237737

GregC2
Level 4
Thanks for the link, this one was the one I had found earlier that makes me think my NAS doesn't emulate any Windows OS, though I am not 100% sure at this time.

Still seems weird the Windows Backup, the free built in Windows Backup program which was made by Veritas, has no issue, but the expensive and paid for BE 10d won't work with it.

Weak.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are you backing up to disk or to tape, you may be able to do a basic backup to tape through BE

GregC2
Level 4
The tape backup portion works great, 10D has been perfect for this. However due to the size limit of tape, and our newly introduced Intel NAS, we want to make the NAS the main backup unit. It uses SATA drives, and as you may deduce, SATA drives are larger, faster, and cheaper than an entire tape solution.

So the tapes will work for now, but I am miffed and dissapointed that the NAS is failing when the NAS works so well in our Domain. It even is AD integrated with no issues....except for BE 10D won't "click" with it.

Boo.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
The problem with NAS is that offsite storage becomes an issue, can you make the nas a netwrok share on the media server and put the BTD folder on it that way?

GregC2
Level 4
Unfortunatley when I attempt this (I did a test of the BtD to a USB which worked the first time) I get an error that there is an incorrect path.

I have tried using the already created mapped drive.
I have gone through network neighborhood.
I have also tried using IP with the \\192.168.0.10\Backup folder

All of which fail in the same method. I have also tried with no pre created folder but BE says it cannot find the correct path.

Strange.

GregC2
Level 4
Sorry I may have misread your question. The BE Media Server does have drive I:\ mapped to the NAS and can interact with it normally, as an admin, without issues.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
The SATA drives maybe quicker but for disaster recovery you should have your backups offsite, so you should still use a tape. I use another symantec product called Backup Exec System Recovery. That backs up all my servers to a large volume on the SAN, I then use backup exec to backup that volume to tape and store it offsite.

Perhaps you could use a combination of products like this, then you could alternate your tape backups for different data each night so you get some offsite storage without investing in a library.

GregC2
Level 4
We think alike Phil! I have been using Powerquest V2i, which was bought by Symantec and turned into Livestate which is now once again renamed to Backup Exec Recovery (probably the worst Symantec naming move of all time, and BE is pretty much exclusive to Vertias Backup Exec).

Anyways, i do use imaging, however to an Exchange mailbox restore, SBER won't do it, and is only used for full system imaging. That still is handy.

The tape drives will most likely have to move exculsively to Exchange backups only and not regular data which is too bad. Our tape drives are not LTO, just 24gig DAT's and they can get expensive especially going above the 24 gig mark or to LTO.

If the NAS worked, we would be set. Also, if FTP worked that would be fine, but we may have to use a WAN VPN solution for some of this data. It unfortunately is hundreds of gigs and offsite does not appear to be a viable option at this time.

Thanks for the information though!