cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup Symantec Vault Indexes

ali_hassan
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

Stayed up almost all of last night trying to figure out what I am missing on this issue... the thing is that I  am using Symantec BE 2012 to backup my Enterprise Vault (10.0.4.1189) and one of my backup jobs which backs up the indexes does not seem to work.... 

It does not fail or give me any error it just does not backup the indexes.. usually the software put the indexes and the vault in backup mode in EV in order to back them up but one of the things I tried was to manually put the vault and indexes in backup mode and then try to back it up with no luck.. what is happening is that only the parent folder is being backed up which is empty of the index files...

ev.JPG

So when the backup finishes I only have the "EV Index" folder and nothing under that which hold my indexes... I tried using the same account which has privileges to the EV server but no luck.. but what I noticed is that during the backup selection all the indexes are grayed out and I only have the option to select the top level folder (EV Index) which makes me wonder that it might not have the correct setup to backup the indexes... I can successfully backup the "Vault Cache" which is placed on a different drive but not this....

Any ideas?

-A

20 REPLIES 20

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you on SP4 and the latest hotfixes?

ali_hassan
Level 4

Hi Pkh,

I am still new to BE and trying to figure it out... I am at the below verison...

be.JPG

Is the the correct version I should be at for what i am trying to achieve?

-A

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This usually happens if you are trying to backup EV data via a Windows Computer resource (using RAWS) and not via the EV resource (using the EV agent).

Ideally, you should be adding this server in the Backup & Restore tab - Server List as an Enterprise Vault server.

ali_hassan
Level 4

Hi VJware!

The EV server is added under the backup and restore tab but my guess is that it has been added in as a "Microsoft Windows computer and servers" and not as EV server as you have mentioned and when I try to click on the add button and select a EV server to be added.. I dont see that option.. am I missing something??

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To check, click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and Installed Updates.

You should also click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and Install Licences and Options to check that you have installed the EV agent licence and option properly.

ali_hassan
Level 4

I have been reading quite a bit regarding the compatibility of BE 2012 and EV 10.0.4 and it looks like Symantec says that it is not compatibale with the version of EV? Does that mean I will have to move to BE 2014 for properly backing up my EV indexes?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is supported if you are on SP4. See my answer above to see how to check whether you have SP4.

ali_hassan
Level 4

Ok here is what I have figured out.. this is defo some kind of a compatibility mess.. what I am done logon to my EV server and perform the below steps

Stop the BE Remote Agent for Windows Service

Re-name "bedsev.dll" located under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup exec,,,,)

Start the BE Remote Agent for Windows Service

I checked  the BE software and now I am able to get access to the indexes and they arent greyed out.. which means that now BE does not know that it is backing up an EV server and allow me to backup the flat files!

What a mess!

Hoping we move to Netbackup 7.6 soon!

-A

ali_hassan
Level 4

@pkh...

Hi,

I posted a screen shot of my BE environment above... can you have a look and tell me if that is the version I should be at?

-A

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't see any screenshot

ali_hassan
Level 4

Strange!!

Anyway here it is:

Backup Exec Server: Version 14.0 Rev. 1798 (64-bit)

Administrative Console: Version 14.0 Rev 1798.1364 (64-bit)

FIPS Version: Not enabled

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This does not indicate whether you have installed SP4.  See my comment below and check

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-backup-symantec-vault-indexes-0#comment-10526631

ali_hassan
Level 4

It shows

Service Pack 4

Hotfix 217347

VJware
Level 6

If SP4 is installed, do ensure the Agent for Application & Database license is installed properly. (As mentioned earlier by pkh). Then add the server as an EV resource and then using the EV agent, you will be able to backup your server.

ali_hassan
Level 4

Just checked the Licensing bit and it looks like I have the "Agents for Application and Databases" installed as seen below 

license_0.JPG

Inspite of this when add a server I cant seem to add it as an EV resource.. the option isnt available...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not in front of the console at the moment. What is the column heading for the column with all the N/A's?

Click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and then Licence Info.  You should have Yes'es under the Licenced and Installed column for the Agent for Enterprise Vault.  If not, go to Install Options and install the EV option again.

ali_hassan
Level 4

The N/A in  the above screen is the "End Date" column.. and under License info it all looks good as you can see below...

lic.JPG

VJware
Level 6

Have you tried re-installing the license and renaming bedsev.dll to its original name ?

ali_hassan
Level 4

The bedsev.sll has already been renamed back to its original name...so you are recommending me to remove the 3 licenses I have for Application and Database and insatll them back again?