cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to communicate with BE2010 (v12.5) and BE v11d agents

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

My production BackupExec is v11d.  When BE 2010 (v12.5) came out I setup a test server and installed BE 2010 v12.5 (the earlier versions before 12.5 had some issues which were resolved with v12.5 arrived).  During my testing and preparing to upgrade the v11d to v12.5 I was able to communicate and backup servers with the v11d agent; I'd get a "Backup but with Exception" warning but it was performing the backups and I was able to restore with no problems.

As I was preparing to upgrade my production environment, BE2010 R2 (v13) came out so I decided to setup a test server like I had one before.

The installation went fine but now I can not communicate with the machines that have v11d or v12.5 installed.  When I perform a Resource Credentials test I get "Failed" and "Incorrect Function".

The BE2010 R2 server is in the domain and I have tried using the administrator account as well as the dedicated BE account I setup in the production environment.

I installed the BE2010 R2 agent on another server (which isn't't even on the domain) and was able to communicate and do a backup just fine.

After reviewing the Quick Installation Guide for BE 2010 R2 it does mention on page 13 of the English edition "Backup Exec 2010 R2 can communicate with Backup Exec 12 Remote Agent for Windows Systems and later".

All of the machines are on the same LAN and each machine does not have any sort of firewall (software or hardware) in place.  The AV software is Symantec Endpoint Protection (current version) and I have already tried with it disabled to no avail.

I've been working with BE since 2006 (back when it was version 9 under the Veritas label) so I have a fair amount of experience with the product over the years but this one has me sort of stumped.

That said, can someone verify that BE 2010 R2 (v13) is or is not compatible with v12 and v11?  Before I can pull the trigger to upgrade my production system to v13 I have to be able to get my test server communicating with the older agent.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is 11, 12, 12.5, 2010, and 2010 R2.  

All documentation and support personnel here always state, that you can only go one major revision back in terms of clients.  So a 2010 server can communicate and work with a 12.5 client, or a 12.5 server can work with a 12 client.  

You are going back more than one revision, which is something I've never seen as being supported...  Nevermind if it actually worked or not that is a different story.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Fine... then they need to really specify when they mean "and later".  But it still does not communicate with the one machine I have which has v12.5 installed.

I'm in the process of opening a support case with Symantec to try and get this resolved.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

BTW, I didn't mean to hit the "thumbs down" to your reply...  Sorry...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Have you tried publishing the agent to the 2010 server?  (or was publishing already set up?)

or reading your post again. 

Is that a 12.5 Remote Agent, or a 12.5 media server?  I've never had any luck backing up one media server from another

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Yes.  I did that through the Remote Agent Utility and then verified it showed up on the BE 2010 R2 Media Server's "Favorite Resources".

I did this on the machine with a v11d Remote Agent and on the machine wigh the v12.5 Remote Agent; to they both show up.

I attempted to open a support case on MySupport.Symantec.com and kept getting:

"MySupport Application Error

The MySupport application has encountered a program error. You can either try again or contact  Symantec Technical Services

Thank you for your patience."

So I had to call in to open a case to figure out why I can't submit a case.  frown 

In the mean time I'm going to do some further tinkering.  If anything I should be able to communicate with my v12.5 Remote Agent installed.

scott_fwmedia
Level 2

I have an environment where we are transitioning to 2010 but still have mostly 12.0.  In my experience I have had no trouble with 2010 using a server with a 12.0 client (other than the complaints in the job log).

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

I'm thinking that if I don't get this figured out in the next week or so I'm just going to go back to my "v11d-to-v12.5" upgrade and revist the v13 at a later date and time.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

So they sorted out the problem so I can now submit a Support Case which is what I just did so we'll see what they come back with...