cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to remote agent

lostandconfus1
Level 3

Hello everyone. I currently have 2008r2 with BE 2012 installed on one server. I installed a second instance of BE2012 to migrate my backup stuff to a new server so we can decom the first one. Here is my problem

I moved all the required files and made all the changes on the new server that was needed to get it up and running again. That part works. out of ~50 servers, im unable to connect to 14 of them from the new server, but have no problem with the old server. One the new setup, if i try to create the trust, it tells me that it can't connect to the server, to make sure its on and all that good stuff. Well it is, and if i go to cmd I can ping from the new server to the problem servers, and from the problem servers to the new server. I also opened up port 10000 for the remote agent, i have tried to reinstall the RAW, and everything else i found on fourms. No matter what ive tried, i can not connect to those servers on the new setup, but like i said, the old setup works just fine. Any ideas, im at a complete lost here

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

is the new server the same OS as the old server?  Is the new Backup Exec install patched to the same version as the other media server?

lostandconfus1
Level 3

Yes, They are 100% identical with the exception of the new server has a 2 at the end. So the old server is be_bkupserver and the new is be_bkupserver2, everything else is 100% identical.

Updated info. Ok to help troubleshoot, i removed the data folder from the new server, which containted all the stuff from the old server, and replaced it with the one that was created when I installed the server. When I try to add a new server for which im having issues with I get these in the event log. I removed the computer names for security reasons

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          11/7/2013 2:45:26 PM
Event ID:      10009
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ************
Description:
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer ******** using any of the configured protocols.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10009</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-07T19:45:26.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>33815</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>*********</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">*******</Data>

</EventData>
</Event>

Followed by

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          11/7/2013 2:45:28 PM
Event ID:      34113
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      *********
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "*********") (Job: "********* Install 00003") ********* Install 00003 -- The job failed with the following error: Fatal error during installation.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Backup Exec" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="8192">34113</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-07T19:45:28.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6418</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>*********</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "*********") (Job: "********* Install 00003") ********* Install 00003 -- The job failed with the following error: Fatal error during installation.
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

lostandconfus1
Level 3

totally not sure what is happening to my replies. ugh today is not my day lol

Yes 100% the same besides the server name which was changed. That was updated in the database during the mirgration of the data

lostandconfus1
Level 3

Also i removed the migrated data from the older server by removing the data folder. I then replaced that with the folder that was created during the setup of BE2012. Now when i try to add the problemed servers i get a failed notice, which isnt new, but im now getting 2 event log error one is a dcom error saying that bkupserver2 can not communicate with servername with any protocols, the famous 10009 error and then right after that i get a BE error in the log and it says that it failed with error 34113. Those are on the bkupserver and one the problem server i get this

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

Ive check the service and its configured just like a server that isnt having a problem

Maybe that will help?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to each of the remote servers, run the BE remote agent utility and make sure that the server is publishing to the new media server.  If necessary, add in the new media server to the publishing tab.  Alternatively, push out the remote agent again from the new media server.

lostandconfus1
Level 3

Well thats the problem. It wont communitcate with the server, because i do need to add that server to the published tab, but it wont add the server. Ive tried both those avenues with no luck. It's got to be a setting or a configuration somewhere on the server that i'm missing. But from what im seeing both servers are 100% the same

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Uninstall the remote agent from your remote servers.

2) Reboot the remote servers

3) Push out the remote agents again from the new media server.

lostandconfus1
Level 3

Still same results, unable to connect to remote computer. Its telling me its unable to communicate with the server, and then i see the same errors in the previous post