cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a job in Backup Exec 2012

Tactical_N8
Level 3

Okay so this is an annoyance that I've been dealing with for quite some time now.  i have an open case with symantec but still no luck.  Just wanted to see if anyone else ran into this.  I used to have a backup job named "Server1.mydomain.com Sunday Backup".  I was having trouble with this job so I decided to delete the job and recreate it from scratch.  When I tried to recreate the job, I get an error message stating that the Backup Job couln't be created because another job exists with that name.  But there is no other job with this name.  The only thing I can do is give the job a different name.  But i don't want to do this because I use this same naming standard for all of my other servers that I backup.  I have tried everything like making sure that there is nothing in job history related to this name.  I installed the latest updates using live update including SP1a.ioioioio

I have tried everything like making sure that there is nothing in job history related to this name.  I installed the latest updates using live update including SP1a.  I even tried using the BEMCLi Powershell commands to find this job and it still does not appear anywhere.  I'm sure that if reinstalled Backup Exec it would fix this but I really do not want to do that.

So far I am quite dissapointed with Backup Exec 2012.  There are many other new issues that I'm experiecing that were not present in older versions of BE, but I won't get into that right now.  It just requires much more hands on maintenance than previous versions.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But any help with the non-existing backup job thing would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tactical_N8
Level 3

Craig,

I tried your suggestions but no luck.  I finally decided this weekend that I have invested way too much time on this annoyance.  So unfortunately I just went through and changed my naming convention for all of my backup jobs.

It sucks but I can't waste any more time on this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Either try a slight different name or provide the database (BEDB.bak) and we can edit it. The entry for the job might still exist.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Did you try a comprehensive repair of the BEDB as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67239

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. the OP states he has a naming convention and doesn't want to change that...hence trying a "slight different name" isn't an option.

2. Why is editing a backup of the BEDB going to work? You going to commit ONLY the changes back the working BEDB? If at all possible? You can't restore the bedb.bak you edit as it might lead to data loss for jobs that are actually running...

Thanks!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Server1.mydomain.com Sunday Bakup , can this be tried (this looks same) and then you even dont have to worry about the convention. Please ignore this if you do not like this

Tactical_N8
Level 3

Craig,  Thanks for the link, I will give that a try and see what happens.  I'll let you know.

Tactical_N8
Level 3

Craig,

I tried your suggestions but no luck.  I finally decided this weekend that I have invested way too much time on this annoyance.  So unfortunately I just went through and changed my naming convention for all of my backup jobs.

It sucks but I can't waste any more time on this.