cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find files to restore

Matt_Baldwin
Level 3
We have Win 2003 server with BackupExec 10d (build 5629, with SP1) installed, which is backing up a NetWare server and a Windows 2000 server. The remote agents are installed and allow for the servers to connect properly.

The nightly backups that we are doing appear to be working. The local server backup successfully, but the other 2 servers report that there was some files skipped or were in use, mostly temp files and some db files, which are not critical to be backed up.

The problem arises when we try to restore from any of the tapes. When we try to browse through the tapes to select files that are to be restored, there is only the local server that is listed as being on the tape.

Let me know if you need any more info..

Thanks in advance

Matt
5 REPLIES 5

Matt_Baldwin
Level 3
Is anyone able to help?

Not being able to restore could be a pretty big problem one day....

I can provide any extra details that may be needed.

Thanks

Matt

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Have you tried cataloging the tapes? I have a feeling that in certain circumstances if the backup fails the catalogue doesn't get written properly, so it might be worth a try.

Keith

Matt_Baldwin
Level 3
Yep, tried that, but I think it might be sorted now.

The backup was previously using 3 different selection lists to do the 3 servers as separate jobs, but now I have combined them as the one selection list.

The theory behind it is the W2003 server was the first server backed up and was getting catalogued, and the other 2 were a different session and weren't being catalogued.

Does this sound like it is the problem? I will know more tomorrow after tonights scheduled backup.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Worth a try I guess, but I doubt that's the issue. I've always had separate jobs for each server being backed up without any problems. Either way you should be able to see multiple servers listed for selection in the restore device view, or be able to drill down to multiple servers through the media view.

Fingers crossed your idea works.

Keith

Matt_Baldwin
Level 3
It appears to have fixed the problem.

All servers have been backed up (with a few open/temp files missed, but that is no big drama) and I can view them to restore, and actually restore too.

Thanks

Matt