cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Level 3
In my backup I keep getting this message "Unable to initialize Remote Agent" and it says the backup failed. However when I look at the log I see a successful backup. All indications are that is backing up successfully but I get that message. I have verified the computer that is running the Remote Agent was installed using 9.1 installer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John
8 REPLIES 8

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
more info is required. what box are you backing up? I got that message as well and it was backing up just fine. but, although the agent was running, the remote agent (Accelerator) was not. for me it was a novell box getting backed up with a windows box.

Level 3
It is a Windows XP Professional box. How can I tell if the accelerator is running? Under services the Remote Agent service is running.

Thanks,
John

David_Moore1
Level 3
I have seen this error before. Basicly it is not talking to the backup remote agent on the machine you are trying to backup. Either the agent has become corrupted somehow, the wrong version is installed or no agent is on the machine.

The backup will look like it works but you will get that error and you may get an error saying the backup is unreliable.

The way I fixed this was to simply uninstall an install the agent again. Make sure your using the right version of the agent for your currently installed version of backup exec to.
Hope that helps

Level 3
Thank you for replying. I did uninstall the backup agent and reinstalled the agent to eliminate corruption and to verify the computer is using the agent associated with 9.1. I did run into some questions though during the reinstall. I tried to follow the steps on Veritas's web site but the install just didn't go smooth. It seemed like it wanted to install the entire program instead of just the remote agent. The backup exec services were listed but I disabled each of them but the Remote Agent.

Thanks,
John

Brian_Blackwell
Level 5
try to stop all BE services on the remote box. then do a re-install of the agent. it should start backup if not you may have to restart the XP box. that is what I had to do to a windows box a couple of month ago. stopping the services first seemd to fix it.

David_Moore1
Level 3
from your backup exec server there is a way to push out the remote agent and have it auto install on a server.

hmm i forget how though!

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

This may happen due to many possibilities. Please verify the following things:

- Ensure that the remote agent license is installed on the media server.

- Make sure that the remote agent installed is of same version and running as local system account.

- Make sure that you communicate with the remote server from the media server and vice versa.

- Make sure that port 10000 is used by NDMP as Backup Exec uses NDMP to communicate to the remote agent.

If the problem still persists then remove the remote agent completely from add\remove programs, reboot remote server.

Copy the RANT32 folder from the install files to the root of c: on the target server. ( \program files\veritas\backup exec\NT\agents ) Stop antivirus software and any 3rd party services if running.

Open cmd prompt on the remote server and run setupaa.cmd

We hope this will help.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas