cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install BE 9.0

Level 3
Recently I performed a clean install on a W2k server and installed our Backup Exec product Version 9.0.

I downloaded the 9.1 update from Veritas and for some reason it corrupt the entire program it would error out upon running. I then uninstalled BE 9.1 and tried to reinstalled version 9.0 from CD but now it will not allow me to install the product the error I get is; "you can not install a Backup Exec media server on a system with Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows servers installed.

The uninstall was successful and I deleted the old directory but there must be something in the registry that is preventing me from reinstalling the product. I went though a manual uninstall step process for remote agent from a Veritas article however those registry entries did not exist.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I am not getting a backup of my data on this server.

Thank you

Randall
12 REPLIES 12

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you rebooted the server after uninstalling everything?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please download and install Windows Installer Cleanup Utility :

"Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

Please delete all the entries of previous veritas backup exec version 9.0 or 9.1.Once reboot the server.

Before installing version 9.1,rename the old bkupinst.log file to bkupinst.old. So that new bkupinst.log file will generate for backup exec version 9.1 installation.
(You can find this File under WINNT folder)

If you can not install 9.1 even after this please paste the exact error message from this new bkupinst.log file. For this :
1.Open the bkupinst.log File
2.press Ctrl+f key and fine for this error : "return code 3"
3.Please paste the first exact error

For any further queries please revert.

Thank you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Level 3
Thank you for your quick respones. I did reboot after the uninstall and I did use the Windows cleanup utility however it found nothing remaining from Veritas application.

Originally I tried to reinstall BE 9.0 this is when I would get the error message not allowing me to perform the install. I then tried to install 9.1 from a CD (which I did not have at the time) and was able to install the application successfully but now I get an error message when running an backup job. "The error is the connection to the BE database has been lost." Whenever a job is running the SQL server engine stops.

Has anyone ever seen this? Again, you help is appreciated.

Randall

Level 3
Note: Once I start the SQL service (MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service) again, the job will finish successfully.

Thanks

Randall

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Randall,
thank you for the update.

Will you check under which account is your MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service running?

It should be running under LSA(Local System Account)

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Level 3
Yes, It is running under the LSA. I've tried updating the MDAC to version 2.8 and reinstalled BE again with my Antivirus disabled, still no luck.

Thank you

Randall

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Randall,

Do you get the error message "The Maximum Connection Limit Has Been Reached" in the event logs on the media server? Then check out:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320728

Also check if this server is very low on memory. Add more memory or stop existing applications on the server to free up memory or increase the page file size to see if it brings any changes to the situation.

You could also check the max number of user connections allowed by running:
Change directories to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Server\80\Tools\Bin Folder on the media server.
- Run the command: osql -S%computername%\bkupexec -E
then run
select @@MAX_CONNECTIONS

Also check if the following security patch has been installed or not? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;821277

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Level 3
I could not wait any longer without backups, I performed a clean install of Win2k Server and then reinstalled BE 9.0 after a failed attempt of trying to install version 9.1 again on this clean install. Version 9.0 works fine and my problems are currently resolved.

This whole issue started when I wanted to upgrade my BE version to 9.1, I did not have a reason to do this and don't think I will try it again. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I do appreciate everyones help, Thank you

Randall

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hi,

So do you think we can archive the case ?

Level 3
You may. Thanks

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Thank you for the update!

Regards,
Ashutosh

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
The post has been marked ansered!