cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Unable to install Backup Exec 2010

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

I'm trying to install Backup Exec 2010 for Windows onto a test server that I have - I've used it to install Backup Exec v11d, v12 and v12.5.

When I attempt an upgrade it fails during the Microsoft SQL Express installation.  The SUMMARY.TXT log:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.4035.00
==============================
OS Version      : Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)
Time            : Tue Mar 16 10:47:22 2010

Machine         : SANDBOX2
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Product Version : 9.00.4035.00
Install         : Successful
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0003_SANDBOX2_SQLSupport_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0003_SANDBOX2_SQLNCLI_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0003_SANDBOX2_SqlWriter_1.log
Product         : MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB973686)
Product Version : 6.20.2003.0
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0003_SANDBOX2_MSXML6_1.log
Product         : SQL Server Database Services
Error           : The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2259. Database:  Table(s) Update failed
Product         : SQL Server Database Services
Error           : The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2259. Database:  Table(s) Update failed
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Product Version : 9.3.4035.00
Install         : Failed
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0003_SANDBOX2_SQL.log
Last Action     : ValidateUpgrade
Error String    : The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2259. Database:  Table(s) Update failed
Error Number    : 2259

And in the installation log:

03-16-2010,10:46:22 : "D:\BE\WINNT\INSTALL\SQLExpress\SQLEXPR.exe" /wait /qn /norestart /lv "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt" INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXEC SQLACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" SQLPASSWORD="" UPGRADE=SQL_Engine ADDLOCAL=SQL_Data_Files,SQL_Replication,Client_Components,Connectivity SAPWD=**** DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 ADDLOCAL=All
03-16-2010,10:48:22 : V-225-53: ERROR: Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC instance with error 1627. ***To search for information about this error, click here
03-16-2010,10:48:22 : Please review C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt for more details.
03-16-2010,10:48:23 : The return value for Microsoft SQL Express returned error code: 1603
03-16-2010,10:48:23 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
03-16-2010,10:48:29 : BeSeqDlgs::DlgInstallComplete
03-16-2010,10:48:29 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
03-16-2010,10:48:31 : The return code is: 1603
03-16-2010,10:48:32 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1603. GetLastError = :0

I've searched and tried the "fixes" in the Symantec Support KB to no avail.

I have Acronis snapshots of this test server so I am able to start over and try various things.

The last thing I've tried, which is prompting me to solicit assistance, is I've uninstalled Backup Exec v12.5 (which was on this server) and the SQL Express that v12.5 installed.  Rebooted the server and did an install.

The installation was progressing until the end when I got the following error: "The backup exec database version you are trying to use does not match the version of this install.  Schema changes have been performed on this database which do not match the executables currently being installed.  Install will not be able to continue at this time.  Please visit the Symantec support web site for more information".

I'm at a complete loss since there was no database to start with and the SQL Express was part of the installer.  When I search the Symantec support site I don't see anything that specifically relates to this error. 

This is just a stand alone BEWS media server with no other SQL database other than what comes with the installation DVD.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Searching the forum led me to this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrade-125-2010-services-not-starting

Which then led me to this hotfix: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm

The hotfix fixed my problem (yay!).  I also need to mention that in order for me to install the hotfix I had to manually stop all of the services first.

Seeing as my production Backup Exec is v11d I plan to skip over v12.5 and just go straight to Backup Exec 2010 once I do some further testing.  Still unsure why I wasn't able to do a successful upgrade from v12.5 to 2010.

Thanks to all who replied!

Rob.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

There is a SQL instance present on your computer.

Install "Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Uninstall Everything that says SQL......

Install SQL Seperately from the Backup Exec CD...in the INSTALL Folder....

Install BE and point to the existing installed SQL instance....

Hope this helps....

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Thanks, however, I did state state:

"I'm at a complete loss since there was no database to start with and the SQL Express was part of the installer.  When I search the Symantec support site I don't see anything that specifically relates to this error. 

This is just a stand alone BEWS media server with no other SQL database other than what comes with the installation DVD."

So the last thing I did before posting for help was ensuring that there were no traces of Backup Exec and SQL (file system and in the registry).

At this point I'm probably going to have to call Symantec Support and log a case and hope they can provide a solution.  I'm reluctant because I've not had good luck when calling them in the past (and I pay for the maintenance and support each year!).

I'm in the process of spinning up a Windows 2003 (32-bit) Server on my ESX server to see if I get the same error.

Thanks again for the reply, though.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Please check:
C:\Windows\Installer\{BEA465C8-2923-42C6-9141-BE44739A6A80} and Delete it

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Will do...  Thanks again!

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

I am sure that there are some traces of SQL on the server, let me check the details.....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I got around this by installing SQL Express separately first, and then running the upgrade again. Believe me this tends to cause chaos if SQL fails during the actual installation on a live server!

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

The only trace is after it installs SQL Express which is the third step of the installation.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

I tried that - installing SQL off the Installation DVD - but it didn't make a difference.

I'm going to give it another try later on a fresh server that doesn't have anything installed.

Thanks for the reply.

CraigV
If that doesn't work, it could be a corruption in the file you downloaded...might have to look into downloading that again if it doesn't install...

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

So I downloaded the installer - this time I selected the single ISO rather than the multiple files.  Made no difference - I am unable to install/upgrade Backup Exec 12.5 to Backup Exec 2010; same error.  Always fails when it goes to install SQL Express.

Starting with a fresh server (clean) in my ESX server I was able to do an install of Backup Exec 2010.  This suggests to me that my installers are fine.

I'm now going to go back to where my Backup Exec v12.5 is installed and do a complete uninstall of Backup Exec v12.5 and all traces of SQL and see what happens.  If it installs then this doesn't bode well when it comes time to upgrade my production Backup Exec which is v11d.  If I have to recreate the backup jobs then so-be-it. 

Stay tuned...

CraigV
Hi Robert,

Don't forget to grab copies of the Data and Catalogs folder...rather have backups, than have to catalog your media from scratch again.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
In my last post, I installed Backup Exec v11d into a VM on my ESX server - ensured that it was able to do a backup and restore - so now it resembles my prodiction BEWS v11d server.

I was able to upgrade it to BEWS 2010 although my problem now is that the BackupExecJobEngine service (bengine.exe) is not starting:

----------------------------------------
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7022
Date:        3/18/2010
Time:        8:19:27 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    SANDBOX2
Description:
The Backup Exec Server service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
----------------------------------------

Reboot hasn't helped.  I'm going to attempt a repair and see if that clears it up.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Repair didn't help.

Searching the forum for additinoal assistance.  I recall seeing a few threads/posts about similar problems...

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

Searching the forum led me to this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrade-125-2010-services-not-starting

Which then led me to this hotfix: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm

The hotfix fixed my problem (yay!).  I also need to mention that in order for me to install the hotfix I had to manually stop all of the services first.

Seeing as my production Backup Exec is v11d I plan to skip over v12.5 and just go straight to Backup Exec 2010 once I do some further testing.  Still unsure why I wasn't able to do a successful upgrade from v12.5 to 2010.

Thanks to all who replied!

Rob.

CraigV
Cool...you can close off your solution.
The upgrade has caused some issues on my side, mainly due to McAfee stopping the SQL upgrade (which bombed out the SQL DB!), and I suspect a registry entry I will be checking out today (put in to stop virus-like activity).

Laters!