cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install SP2

VictorP
Level 2
Hello, hoping to get some help with this one. Have a BackupExec 11d install and am trying to get it up to date and started with SP2. SP2 begins to install and then eventually fails at Configuring Symantec BackupExec.

The exact error I get first is SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified[xFFFFFFFF]
Some other info about SQL 2005 Express, which does not pertain to me, since this is on MSDE.
Then the last line is "Login timeout expired"

I get this twice followed by
The Backup Exec database version you are trying to use does not match the version fo the install.  Schema changes have been performed on this database which do not match the executable currently being installed. Install will not be able to continue at this time. Please visit the Symantec support site for more information.

Then it rolls back everything it did already. I ran a SQL trace on the DB and do see the upgrade running various scripts on the DB so it is in fact connecting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message Edited by VictorP on 04-28-2008 12:17 PM
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Some other info about SQL 2005 Express, which does not pertain to me, since this is on MSDE.

v11d will  not install on MSDE, it uses SQL Express instead.  if you were using MSDE on v9/v10 and upgraded, then MSDE was replaced by SQL Express   see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285796.htm

VictorP
Level 2
Thanks Ken, makes sense now. I inherited this configuration and somehow it is running on MSDE... Not sure how it got this way but I guess I need to figure out how to get it off of this way. Thanks again!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if your config is not real complex, you could probably just uninstall/reinstall and start defining from scratch

if it is more complex, you could try the same thing, but after re-installing use BEUTIL to "Recover config from a file" (pointing to the BEDB file in the \WINNT directory.  probely be best to save a copy before the uninstall)  Don't know if this will work, but it would definitely be worth a try