cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install the Admin Console

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
I'm just trying to upgrade the Admin Console from 10.1d to 11d. One of the main problems I ran into was MSXML bombing out during the install/upgrade.

Reading a couple of threads I found, I tried what was suggested in this thread:

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4467885#4467885

Enabling 8dot3 filenames bypassed the MSXML error but it still does not complete the installation. I get all green when doing the environment check, however.

The error I get is:

"The wizard was interrupted before Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 11d for Windows Servers could be completley installed. Your system has not been been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again."

I then uninstalled the 10.1d Admin Console, did a reboot and attempted to install it and got the same error.

The error log shows this error:

12-20-2006,14:08:25 : ERROR: Failed to register/unregister C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvcalendar.ocx with regsvr32.
12-20-2006,14:08:25 : V-225-122: Error configuring RA main module ***To search for information about this error, click here
12-20-2006,14:08:25 : Action ended 14:08:25: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

And then a couple of lines below it:

12-20-2006,14:08:26 : ERROR: Failed to register/unregister C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvcalendar.ocx with regsvr32.

I got the same error even when I had the 10.1d Admin Console installed so uninstalling it didn't seem to have an affect.

My first thought is to try registering pvcalendar.ocx but because it never completes the installation, it never stays in the location indicated in the log. :)

Side note: I have a test/development server which had 10.1d of BE installed. It's pretty much the mirror of my production BE 10.1d server. I did an upgrade on my test server and it did give me a warning about short file names being disabled but it still did the upgrade without error.

Appreciative of any thoughts, comments and suggestions...
3 REPLIES 3

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Take the backup of data and catalogs folder by
stopping the services for 10d before doing anything.

1. Go to registry editor and browse to path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
2. Make sure that the value of NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is set to
zero.
3. If it is not there then create it with reg_dword value and assign zero
against it.
4. Reboot the server
5. Go to \Documents and Setting\AllUsers\ApplicationData\
directory and delete the Symantec folder.
6. Try the upgrade.

When it doesnt help, pvcalendar.ocx place it on c:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec if you do not see the directory path create it.

Then go to start run type in regserv32 "c:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvcalendar.ocx" to manually register the file.

Also , try the following before running the upgrade

go into c:\windows \installer directory ensure you are able to view hidden files by going into tools options view also uncheck hide protected operating system files .

search for beinstparams.prm it will give you guid move the folder to another location in the system so is not in the windows installer folder .

Thanks.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that the machine that I am attempting to upgrade just the Admin Console is running on a workstation (my laptop). I use it to administer my single/production BE 10.1d Media Server.

My laptop is a Windows XP Pro (SP-2) machine.

I also have a desktop which is running Windows Server 2003 (STD/SP-1) and it too has just the Admin Console installed on it.

On both machines, I have completely removed all traces of BE and tried to just install the Admin Console from scratch with no luck.

David_Jong__de
Not applicable
I believe the command should be regsvr32.......