cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to log on to Windows following backup - no windows security screen

chairmanmaw
Level 2
Hello everybody,

I am experiencing the following scenario on a few servers. It's intermittently repeated on the servers as well.

A nightly backup runs and is 100% successful. SQL/Windows system state and data drives are all backed up.

When I return to work the following morning I am unable to log in to windows. A blank screen is presented with a cursor - no windows security screen or login prompt.

I am able to remotely view the event log and connect to the server shares.

The event log has no specific errors in it other than backupexec timeout errors, which I believe are common;

Event ID 7000

The Backup exec Remote Agent for Window systems service failed to start due to the following error;

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

This happening more frequently. I am running backup exec remote agent version 12.5.2213.101

Has anyone experienced the same thing and can help?

Thanks,

Martin
2 REPLIES 2

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Is the server rebooting? Do you see the usual three entries for Event Viewer that signify a reboot?

1. the event log service has stopped, 2. Processor Information..., 3. The event log service has started

You say "this is happening more frequently". Can you confirm that it was/was not happening prior to the BE install?

You could disable the Remote Agent service for an evening and see if the server is stable the next morning.

Gilly

chairmanmaw
Level 2
Thanks for the reply

1. No the server doesnt reboot. A reboot is required however. I have to reboot the server before I can log back in to it.
2. The server is a VM running a single processor with 2GB RAM
3. Yes the event log service has started/hasnt stopped

"Can you confirm this was/was not happening prior to the install?" Yes, this was not happening prior to the installation.

Im wondering whether an agent upgrade could have caused this problem?

No, I cant disable the BE RA service over night. This happens sporadically so Its hard to predict when it might happen again. I will also investigate the backup server.

Thanks for the input. If you have any other ideas, let me know!