cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore Exchange database to file server (using PowerControls to extract contents)...

Mike_Kehm
Level 4
I have several backup sets that are full (successful) MS Exchange 2003 database backups. I am attempting to restore the database files (particularly the priv1.edb) to a non-Exchange file server in order to use Ontrack PowerControls (limited version) to be able to extract individual mailbox stores if needed.

I have attempted this several times and within the first minute of the restore process the jobs error out with the following information:

Alert.. "Restore <job name> -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives."  The Job Log... "Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives."
                "Final error category: Resouce Errors"

The System Logon Account is set correctly with Domain Admin permissions, the password is correct.
The device I am attemtping to restore the database is accesible/online as it is the same Server in which the Backup Exec v.9.1 Rev. 4691. I have stopped and started all services using the BackExecServicesMgr.exe utility.

I am able to restore any data from the same backup sets. The backup sets are stored on LTO3 tapes on and Overland Tape Library system.

I have also tried setting the restore job's settings for Exchange with the folowing settings:
    X  Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes
    X  No loss restore...
    X  Commit after restore completes (I have ran the job with this option NOT checked as well.)

I am using File Redirection, not Exchange Redirection... other than those settings specified I ran with the defaults on all the other settings.

Server Info:
 Windows Server 2003 R2 + SP1 (current updates)
 Exchange 2003 (ver. 6.5.7638.1 noted from Exchange System Manager)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advanced.

Mike Kehm
I.T. Systems Admin
CBPR, Las Vegas
2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Kehm
Level 4
After doing some thorough research into Backup Exec 9.1 and Microsoft Exchange 2003 documentation it looks as though this might not be a feasible task.

It appears that my best bet option at this point is to create a Recovery Storage Group on one of our Exchange boxes and restore the database to the "offline" RSG, then use EXMerge to extract the data. But at the same time rather than using EXMerge to extract the mailbox data I could then use Ontrack's PowerControls to essentially complete the same task of selecting which particular data I choose to restore to the "online" Storage Group.

I was hoping that maybe someone would know a quicker work-around for this task and I still welcome any suggestions.

Note: This is something I am doing in a test-bed scenario rather than a live environment in order to see if this will work in a real life disaster recovery scenario or as a shortcut procedure to save time.

Message Edited by Mike Kehm on 07-02-200703:21 PM

Mike_Kehm
Level 4
If anyone else is looking into using Exchange 2003 Recovery Storage Groups here is a good piece of documentation from Microsoft on the subject: