cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore bkf file for Symantec BE 2012

Stanley_Aw
Level 2

Hi,

I have installed Symantec BE earlier however data was gone and I managed to retrieve only the bkf file. I cannot restore the data back into the server as the cfg files are not found. What can I do? Been reading and trying all sorts of methods stated here so far I cannot find a solution but when I did a test on the B2DTest the data has passed the tests.

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Create backup to disk folder on an empty volume

Once it is created copy the BKF files into the same location that .CFG files now exist in (inside that volume)

Then run an inventroy and catalog of that folder

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If the above doesn't work, try catalogging with NTbackup and then a restore...it might work.

Thanks!

Stanley_Aw
Level 2

Hi Colin and CraigV,

Tried the methods, both doesn't work. Restore only throws back Physical Volume Library Media not found.

Really lost now. What's frustrating is while I tried to view the archive within it, I can see our database but it just refuse to let me restore. Is there any other ways to extract the database backup within it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The error message usually means that either the media is missing or unreadable. Do you have all the .bkf files from the backup? Is the disk storage accessible? What is the database that you are trying to restore? SQL Server? Exchange?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there are a number of websites offering apps that repair/restore from broken *.bkf files. Check this one out below:

www.repairmybackup.com

Absolutely no guarantee it will work either, but if it becomes a desperate situation to restore data, then I'd recommend checking it out as a last resort.

Thanks!

Stanley_Aw
Level 2

Hi I'm trying to restore the MS SQL database. I have only 1 copy of the bkf file.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I am not talking about the number of copies of the .bkf file. I am asking whether you have the entire set of .bkf files which makes up the backup set.