cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore files from Backup Tape.

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
I have a very strange problem, I can backup with no problems, I can browse the tape and find the file I want, however when I try to restore any file from the backup tape, I get the following error.

Job ended: Thursday, 22 September 2005 at 2:13:24 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xffff84ed - 0xa00084ed (2684388589)
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-65535-34029

I would be really grateful if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- Can you tell us a bit more about your environment?
- What is being backed up?
- What are the Job settings

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Hi Amruta, thanks for replying.

The Backup Exec is running in Windows Server2003 SP1, which is the only server and PDC.
The files being backed up are data files of the company, documents and databases. The particular file I wanted to restore is a word document, but any file I tried to restore failed to do so.
Here's the complete job log:

Completed status: Failed Expand AllCollapse All
Job Information
Job server: PRECISION
Job name: Restore 00008
Job started: Thursday, 22 September 2005 at 1:57:00 PM
Job type: Restore
Job Log: BEX_PRECISION_00207.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 22/09/2005 1:57:04 PM

Device and Media Information
Drive and media information from media mount: 22/09/2005 1:57:16 PM
Drive Name: ARCHIVE 1
Media Label: Seagate 2005/05/31.11:00:45
Media GUID: {6774cc49-38a0-48d9-8687-a97d2b3d311f}
Overwrite Protected Until: 21/09/2005 11:54:27 PM
Appendable Until: 21/09/2005 8:00:17 PM

Job Operation - Restore

Server - PRECISION
Network control connection is established between 127.0.0.1:1906 <--> 127.0.0.1:10000
Network data connection is established between 127.0.0.1:1908 <--> 127.0.0.1:1907

Set Information - \\PRECISION\C:
Restore Set Information
Restoring data to \\PRECISION\C:\Data\Shared-files.

Storage Media #1: " Media created 20/09/2005 9:00:04 PM "
Backup performed on 20/09/2005 at 9:00 PM
Backup set #1: " Eagle Backup Selections "

Restore started on 22/09/2005 at 1:57:21 PM.
Restore completed on 22/09/2005 at 1:57:41 PM.

Restore Set Summary
Restored 0 files in 0 directories.
Processed 0 bytes in 20 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.000 MB/min

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, 22 September 2005 at 1:58:08 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xffff84ed - 0xa00084ed (2684388589)
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-65535-34029

In fact, prior to this problem the backup was going normally, however, since the day I tried to restore and failed, the backups are now failing with this error - the only other thing that might have been a factor was that I had applied the Server2003 Service Pack 1 on the same day:

Backup- C: Storage device "ARCHIVE 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Update on what's happening.

For the 1st 2 days, the backups all failed with the error given above.

However the last few days the backups have been completing, but it will then fail at the verification stage with "hardware I/O error"

As far as I know the restores still don't work.

I welcome any suggestions on actions to take.

Thanks.

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Are any Symantec support staff reading this at all? Ever since the 1st reply that asked for more info which I've subsequently supplied, it's been silent.
Some help needed here please!
Or do I have to start a new thread to get some attention?

Thanks.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I would suspect that Windows SP1 may have overwritten your SCSI card and/or tape drive drivers.
If you haven't done so already, I would delete the tape devices within backup exec, reboot, and run through the device wizard again.
I would also go to device manager and verify the Veritas Drivers are still applied to to your tape drives.
I then would be tempted to select my SCSI adapter within device manager and see if a rollback driver option is avaialble, and try that as well.

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Thanks heaps! I'll try this solution out on Monday. I was beginning to think it was a fault with the Tape drive but wasn't prepared to purchase a new one without being absolutely sure.

Not applicable
Were you able to fix the problem? I consistently get this message:

Backup Domino A Server -- The job failed with the following error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Thank you.

Juhani_Tolonen
Level 3
Hi,
did you remember to turn off the Windows firewall after applying SP1?

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Well, an update on progress...
I tried re-installing different drivers, both ones downloaded from the net and also the ones it automatically finds. Right now the driver being used is a Veritas driver for the tape drive model - all of them have the same problem in that it can write with no errors, but when it has to read (whether to verify or restore) it will fail with an I/O error. I have rolled-back SP1 but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.
It looks like it isn't strictly a problem with Backup Exec - NTBackup fails as well with the same symptoms.
I have taken the tape drive out and installed it into a Windows XP computer, and it works with no problems.

I didn't touch the Windows firewall after applying SP1, is there a known problem with the Windows firewall and Seagate Archive Python tape drive? I don't see the connection but right now I'm open to any suggestions.

Michal_Osmenda
Not applicable
Check speed on SCSI controller. Maybe you need to lower the speed to 80MBps.

Cheers,
Mike

Edwin_Voon
Level 3
Yes, I've contacted the tape drive manufacturer, and they think the SCSI controller is likely to be the culprit.
I currently have the tape drive running off the same RAID SCSI controller as the 2 mirrored SCSI HDDs, so I'm going to get a standard UW SCSI controller to control the tape drive and take it off the RAID SCSI controller.