cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to see RALUS Servers

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
I installed the new 'For Pay' RALUS agent on one of my Linux servers after having upgraded my backup server to version 10. I occasionally cannot see that server in the Unix selection lists.

When it does show up, it refuses connection with 'access is denied'.

Documnet Id: 272524 says that you can use 'User Defined Selections' How? It is not explained.

Any clues/hints/flames??Message was edited by:
14 REPLIES 14

Milin_Desai
Level 4
1. Check to see if the media server name is there in the /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg file?
Should look Like this
....\Agent Directory Listing 1 = mediaservername

2. Add the local ralus machine name to the /etc/hosts file

3. restart service.

This should fix the issue and you should be able to see the machine under REMOTE Selections in the backupexec UI

Rick_M_
Level 3
One other thing that may be of interest. Were you using the previous Unix/Linux agent prior to the upgrade?

Credentials for the previous agent were specific to the agent, wheras the RALUS agent uses system credentials to log in. If you have credentials associated with the old agent, they will not work for the new one (if, for instance they have the same name).

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
Not sure exactly what you mean by 'system credentials' in the context of a Linux server being backed tp by a Windows box.

At one point, the Linux server with the new agent showed up and I created a backup job for it. The job will backup about 850Mb. of ddata and then cancel complaining the agent isn't there or is not running with the following message:

V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

The agent is running. And as I mentioned, this is a LINUX server not a Windows Server as the error states.

I just tried to create a new selection list for that Linux server but even though the NEW Linux agent is installed and running, it doesn't even show up on the backup serverin the 'remote selections' list.

Right now it is starting to look like I paid for 6 Linux agents that I won't be able to use.

Milin_Desai
Level 4
Did you try the steps I mentioned in my previous comment.

a) Stop your service on linux box

b)Add your Linux bob name to your /etc/hosts file

e.g.

ip address linux machinename

c) Check /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg to see if your media server name is there. Should look like

/System/Software/..../Agent Directory Listing 1= mediaservername/ip address

d) start your servvice.

This should get you up and running. I hav resolved a similar issue before.

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
Tried all this stuff.
Rebooted the servers.
Doesn't seem to help.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

What is the version of Linux?

Also check the HOSTS file under etc and verify if media server IP address is there.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
RedHat Advanced Server Version 3

Media server is in the hosts file.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Please check in the compatibility list whether the Linux version you are using is compatible with Backup Exec.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264484

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
It is supported according to the Veritas documentation.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello,

To add the Linux Machine through the User Defined Selections, just select that Option, right click on it and select User Defined Selections Option. Add the Server with its Name or the IP Address.

Let us know if this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
Doesn't work.
No matter what I try for an account to access that server, it won't accept it. Even 'ROOT' won't work. It appears to be trying to pass a Windows account to the Linux box.

Milin_Desai
Level 4
try starting the remote agent on your linux box as

beremote --log-console and print the log message you get when you try to connect from your media server.

Do you see the machines now in your media server?

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Lawrence,

Do let us know if the issue is resolved. Have a nice day!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
After much testing, it appears to be a problem if you do NOT remove the free agent first.
I'm still having problems with the paid agent running properly, but I can see the Linux server if I remove the free agent completely and then install RALUS.