cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS causes BE 10 to crash

nlsblkry
Level 2
Hello All,

This is a fresh install w2k3 with BE 10.0. When the backup runs with the Shadow Copy Components (system state) checked the server crashes. If it is not selected it will complete the backup. This is the last message before the crash:

AOFO: Started for resource: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Append operations cannot be performed on this storage media.
…and it crashes

I have changed to overwrite the media.
I installed Service Pack 1 for Veritas 10.0, even though it said nothing about these symptoms, ran the back up and it crashed the server. The test run will pass.?.
Its a local backup using an HP tape drive, with plenty of space available on the tape.
Advanced Open file Option is grayed out in the config panel.
No alerts it just crashes and a manual reboot is required.

Any thoughts or further questions are welcome, Blake
3 REPLIES 3

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello,

When using AOFO, check the Option Automatically Select Open File Technology.

Install this Microsoft Hotfix.

Time-out errors occur in Volume Shadow Copy service writers, and shadow copies are lost during backup and during times when there are high levels of input/output

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826936

Apart from that, if you are using AOFO only to Backup Shadow Copy Components, we recommend that you leave the Advanced Open File Option blank. Do not select anything over there as by default, for backing up Shadow Copy Components the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service will be used anyways.

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived

Undisclosed
Not applicable
I have a similar problem. My BE v10 5498 backed up my WinServer 2003 fine including the Shadow copy option ticked in the Selection dialog box. When I installed WinServer 2003 sp1 and left the Shadow box ticked my server hangs when it backs up. I telephoned MS regarding the hotfix mentioned in this thread and they said it was included in sp1. The system hang started AFTER installing WS2003 sp1 and I can now only back it up if I uncheck the Shadow Copy Components box in the selections area.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi

Please update us on the issue. We would like to know whether steps given as per the last post answer to your query was helpful ?

For further queries do revert.

Thank you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.