cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to select mailboxes in Exchange 2003

David_Lorenzen
Level 2
I have a fully patched Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 SP2, and Backup Exec 10.0 SP3. When I go to select the mailboxes or public store, it wont accept the administrator account or another account that I have delegated control to. Any ideas? I have followed most of the knowledge base articles I could find.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello David,

- Could you tell us what rights does this account have?
- Also is the Exchange Server remote or local?
- Is it in the same Domain?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can check the following Rights as the Basic Rights the user should have:
- Domain Admin
- Local admin
- Exchange Full admin (through the system Manager)
- the account should not be hidden in the Global Address List.
- The account should have its own Mailbox which should be activated.

Hope that helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

David_Lorenzen
Level 2
I have tried it with 2 different accounts. The administrator for the domain and a user I created. Both were domain admins and local admins. Exchange is running locally and both have addresses and are not hidden from the Global address list.

Sary_Chan
Level 3
I am in the same situation as you are. After I've upgraded version 10.0 to version 10d, the backup account no longer works on mailboxes, but works for Information Store. I have this exact same setup at another site, and they have both backed up fine.

I tried sending a test email from the account, to "activate" it but still to no avail.

Tien_Tran
Level 2
I am having same problem with backing up exchange 2000 mailboxes in a different windows forest!

I can select the MS information store but not the public and mailboxes.

I don't have problem when backing up Exchange mailboxes from server in the same domain and forest.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

1. Create a new user account using Active Directory Users and Computers. Make the account the member of Domain Admin group and the Local Administrator of the Exchange server.

2. Create new Logon Account in Backup Exec using the same username and password.

Start Backup Exec -Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard -Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account. -Make this account a common logon account. -Complete the wizard.

3. Delegate this account Full Exchange Administrator rights on the exchange server using System Manager at the Exchange organization level.

4. Create a unique mailbox corresponding to the newly created account. Make sure that the mailbox is not hidden and is visible in the Global Address List.

5. Send some mails to the newly created account and access the emails to activate the mailbox.

6. Stop and restart all Backup Exec services. If possible, reboot the server.

7. We suggest you to enable Restrict Anonymous Support on Backup Exec Server as well as the remote Exchange Server.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm

8. Try taking the backup using newly created account and verify the result.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

David_Lorenzen
Level 2
Hello,
I followed your steps exactly and I am still receiving "Logon account "Backup exec user" failed to access "2K3SERVER2\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". Access is denied.

Jens_Fabricius
Level 3
Having same problem... Also tried the "solution" above without any success at all...

Sary_Chan
Level 3
I have managed to fix this issue, by creating a new account. I was trying to backup mailboxes on the subdomain with an account on the parent domain.

This does not work, as you must have the service account on the same domain that you are trying to run the backups on. Also the service account's mailbox must be contained in the mailbox selection that is to be backed up.

If all fails, try creating a new account with a unique name. This was our problem, as we upgraded the software and moved the mail server to a subdomain. We moved the account to the subdomain, and still could not backup the mailboxes. I guess the account was still holding onto something from the old domain. With the new account it worked fine.

Jens_Fabricius
Level 3
Tried to create a new account with a new unique name, but Im getting the "Access denied" message anyhow.

Sary_Chan
Level 3
Did you send and receive an email to the service account's mailbox? This will activate the account's right's to access other mailboxes withing the same Information Store Group.

Jens_Fabricius
Level 3
Tested it without any luck, BUT if I logon locally to my BE server with the Exchange Backup Account created according to the shaman-like rites described earlier in this post, I can access every mailbox without any problems!!!

So the "connect as" doestnt work at all, does it?
Can i PLEASE have a Symantec reply to this with a satisfying explination?

Sary_Chan
Level 3
When you created the account, did you create it using your logon or the service account's logon? I noticed that mine did not work because the "owner" was set to my user logon, instead of the service account's logon.

Jens_Fabricius
Level 3
Changed it, but still no success. Do you mean Exchange Serviceaccount or BE serviceaccount?

Also noted that everything seems to work (can expand mbx and pub.folders) if I use my Exchange Backup Account as "default logon" instead of "connect as".

Sary_Chan
Level 3
I see where you are at now. You are using 2 different accounts to run backups, one for data and one for exchange. I am using one account dedicated for backups, and this has been set to default logon. So in fact your credentials are working fine, but when it goes to access the mailbox's it tries to use the default account instead of the exchange account.

I'm not sure if you've done this already, but try this.

Go to your exchange selection list, on your left pane you will see "Resource Credentials". You can change the credentials to your exchange logon account, then test the credentials. By default all credentials go to the "system logon account" for the backup server. From here you can set different credentials for different servers on the same selection list.

If you've done that already, then I'm stumped.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You may also refer to the following technote

(title) How to configure a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 2000 individual mailbox backup for Backup Exec 8.x, 9.x or 10.x software

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249456

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.