cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.

Bing_Xiao
Level 2
After upgrading to Ver 10. from Ver. 8.6. Run a Catalog job. The job failed. Got the following error message: Event ID 34327;Update to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed. Reason INSERT Statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY contrstraint (FK_CatImage_CatR Cat_Recordset:Open() d:\caicos\5484r\becat\brplugins\beimage\catimage.cpp (768).
and followed by other two error message:
Event ID 34228 Backup Exec Alert: Catalog Error ODBC access error possible lost connection to databse or unsucessful access to catalog index in the database.

Event ID 34113: Backup Exec Alert: Job failed. Catalog 0006 - The job failed with the following error. A memory allocation request failed. The computer maybe running low on virtual memory.

The environment Backup Exec is installed on one media server (Winodws 2000 SP4) with WIndows servers and one Novell server.

I tried the follwoing procedure:
1. Stop all Backup Exec services
2. Rename the Catalogs folder in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT directory to Catalogs.old
3. Create a new "Catalogs" folder
4. Restart the Backup Exec services
5. Click on Tools >> Option >> Catalogs
6. Uncheck the "use storage media based catalogs" option
7. Rerun the catalog operation on the media

but I still had the same error. I tried to catalog different tapes. I also got the same errors at same location-When the Backup Exec rebuild catalog for a server. The catalog jobs already ran about 55 minutes before the jobs failed.

I tried to upgrade to Ver 9.1 first, and then upgrade to ver 10.0. There were no problems with ver 9.1 when I ran the catalog job. But after I upgraded to ver 10, I got errors when cataloged the same tape.
8 REPLIES 8

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Firstly, please download and install the MDAC Component Checker from the following link:
MDAC Utility: Component Checker
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8f0a8df6-4a21-4b43-bf53-14332ef092c9&DisplayLang=en

Check if there are any mismatched dlls in it and let us know the result.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Bing_Xiao
Level 2
Hi Ajit,

I ran the component checker 2.0 and got the following result:

The following products release were matched:
MDAC 2.8 RTM.

Thanks.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

This error could be caused by a corrupt catalog index. To create a new catalog index, perform the following:

1. Stop all the Backup Exec (tm) Services

2. Rename the Catalogs folder (by default C:\ Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs) to Catalogs.old

3. Start all Backup Exec Services, and once they're all started, stop them all again

4. Delete the newly created Catalogs folder, and rename the Catalogs.old folder back to Catalogs

5. Start the Backup Exec services

Indexing the catalogs may take a long time to finish. The Backup Exec GUI may appear to be hung while the Indexing is taking place, and the server might appear sluggish until the indexing process finishes.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Bing_Xiao
Level 2
Hi,
I already tried it.

Claw_from_RU
Not applicable
Bing Xiao, I have same problem after upgrade from 10 (5484) to 10 (5520).
Did you find any solution of the problem?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

With referance to your post on the Catalog job, does the problem persist? Do write back to the forum in either case.

If it persists, you can additionally follow the steps in the technote given below:

Title: How to manually force Backup Exec to re-index the on-disk catalogs
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886
You can try the steps given for 9x, for 10.0.

Do write back in case of problems.

However if we do not receive your update on this post within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Dragos_Marian
Not applicable
Hi,

I have the same problem. I tried also the following:
1. Stopped all services (including the MSDE engine)
2. Renamed the old Catalogs folder, created a new empty one
3. Restarted all the services
4. Tried to catalog a tape

The catalog job failed with the same error as in the first post in this thread. The new Catalogs folder remained empty (no database, no index file) - during the catalog operation I could see BE creating temporary files in that directory (I think they were empty), which it automatically deleted in the end. I checked permissions, everything is ok (services run in local administrators group, which has full access, inheritance enabled). Version is 10 rel. 5484.

Any other ideeas?

King regards,
Dragos

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Dragos,

Have you tried the solutions given earlier to this post ?
Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.