cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated BE 8.6 to BE 10.0

Julio_Salda_a
Level 3
This friday I´m going to update BE 8.6 to 10.0 and i need some recomendation about this update.

Whats happens with the already created jobs do they migrate automatic?

How about the drivers of the support server, i have to do something with those?

Thanks Regards
6 REPLIES 6

Sam_Gooble
Level 4
> This friday I´m going to update BE 8.6 to 10.0 and i
> need some recomendation about this update.
>
> Whats happens with the already created jobs do they
> migrate automatic?
>
> How about the drivers of the support server, i have
> to do something with those?
>
> Thanks Regards

BE 8.6 to 10.0 should be fairly straightforward. However, here are somethings you may want to consider:

0. First and foremost, read backup exec 10.0 documentation thoroughly. If you have remote agents, read all of those pages. Its very important. One more thing, if not too late, would be to have a test machine where you can install a copy of backup 8.6 server, restore your pvl.mdb and then once your jobs are restored to the test box, upgrade to 10 on the test box, just to get a feel for the same. I would strongly recommend getting a 'feel' for the backup exec 10 in a test environment before moving to production.

I did move from 8.6 to 10, its a BIG change. Of course, we have a heavy volume and lots of differnt types of backups to manage. but, no matter big or small, i still recommend a test before production. you may also want to reconsider your backup strategy, but that might be phase 2. Lots of new features in backup exec 10.

To answer your other question, most of your backup jobs should get migrated over, straight forward. you will know that more clearly if you tested simulating your upgrade in a test environment. veritas backup exec evaluation license is good for 60 days and you can play around with all the new options in that time period. only thing is you will have to reenter license keys and stuff if you consider making your test in to production from an eval version..

1. backup your pvl.mdb and other files related to catalogs and media sets, just in case before upgrading the server.

and i am not clear with the last question of support server.

Hope it helps. if you look at some of my previous postings, you might get some idea of typical version 10 related items..

Good luck!
-Sam

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Julio,
Please revert after doing the steps as per the very comprehensive response sent in the previous reply.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

steve_burkett
Level 4
Two things:

1/ Why not go straight to 10.1?

2/ All I can say is be prepared for the upgrade to fail and leave you with version v10.x but none of your existing jobs or history. I'm finding more often then not the installer fails to upgrade the SQL database correctly.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us regarding this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Cupps
Level 4
you'll lose your ability to use hardware compression not to mention several other hangups. do a search onthis forum for compression & you'll see what I mean

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Could you please update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.