cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Backup Exec using LiveUpdate fails to run, has error

Sherman_C_
Not applicable
When LiveUpdate is run, it flashes "unable to connect to host" in the progress display, then stops with LU1863 "insufficient free disk space". There are gigabytes of free disk space on all hard drives on the server. Disk quotas are disabled. I have updated LiveUpdate to the latest version. I'm stumped. How do I fix this? Is there a 'fix' tool for LiveUpdate or a 'check' or 'diagnostic' tool that will point me to the real reason that LiveUpdate will not run. I can't update Backup Exec with the current patches unless this works.

Thank you for your help.
3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Sherman.

I would recommend rerunning the liveupdate install from the Backup Exec media. 

It is located in WINNT\INSTALL\Liveupdate\EN

The updates do get saved to the c drive, there must be enough space on this drive regardless of where Backup Exec is installed.

Hope this helps.

Patty

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Sherman,

Also in the control panel, Symantec LiveUpdate there are some configuration utilities that may help you.

Patty

Sherman_Colson
Level 2
I solved my problem. Here's the story:
I searched for "LU1863 disk space" in Google. I came across a Russian language post. Out of desperation I read down through the postings after that entry. I saw the words "ISA Server 2004" and "GFI WebMonitor". Ahah! I also am running those products. My version of GFI WebMonitor was not current, so I thought it could be causing the problem. I uninstalled GFI WebMonitor because I no longer need it. No restart was required. Now LiveUpdate works as it should. It no longer generates the LU1863 error.
My conclusion is that anyone getting a misleading LU1863 error should very carefully consider all the products they have installed that filter or block web content. GFI WebMonitor inserts an extra step in the download process so it can virus scan the downloaded file before releasing it to the user. I assume this extra step causes the LU1863 error because it blocks direct downloading (unless the site is whitelisted within WebMonitor).
Thank you to everyone who has analyzed or assisted me with this problem.
Good luck finding the blocking program that's causing your LU1863 error. Please be sure to post your solution here.

Thanks,
  Sherman Colson