cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Backup Exec from 8.x to 10d

Dave_Edick
Level 2
When I upgrade BackupExec server from 8 to 10d, is it necessary to uninstall the RAWS agents deployed on the servers that are to be backed up? Or can I push the new agent and have them upgraded automatically to RAWS 10?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
You don't need to uninstall the 8.x remote agent. By push installing the 10.x remote agent, the 8.x remote agent shall get upgraded.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Laurie_Rose
Level 3
We're thinking about a similar upgrade (8.x to 10d) but the cost of upgrading the remote agents is prohibitive; each agent upgrade costs as much as the BE upgrade itself, and we have several remote servers which already have paid-for 8.x agents.

Do we really need the remote agents? We're only backing up shared data on the remote servers, and could use the backup built-in to Windows 2003 to save the system state locally to a shared folder, then back that up using BE.

Dave_Edick
Level 2
Thank you aravind kondapalli, that answers my question...and it is also good news as it'll be a timesaver for sure!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As of V9.0, you MUST have a remoteAgent installed to connect to a Remote server. A media server will generally talk to a remote agent of the same version, but one "dot level" back.

Read the SCL for the version of your media server to see what the limitations for it are

Laurie_Rose
Level 3
Apologies for wrongly implying that the RAWS agent costs as much as BE itself in my earlier post - we were quoted the wrong price by our supplier!
In fact the cost of ugrading the agent from 8.x to 10d is much more reasonable than we were first lead to believe.