cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade a Windows 2003 server to Windows 2008 now credintials not working

RWhited
Level 3

We recently upgraded one of our server 2003 computers to server 2008 (We'll call this server UPGRADE). Once we did the backup server (we'll call this server BACKUP) was unable to authenticate to the server.

Due to our restraints, we cannot have a AD account for backups, so we're using local admin accounts (UPGRADE\backupadmin).

So I removed the entry from BACKUP's backup exec server and I uninstalled the agent from UPGRADE. I reinstalled the agent locally to UPGRADE and manually added BACKUP to the trust. After doing so, UPGRADE appeared in the server list of BACKUP.

I then removed the old UPGRADE\backupadmin account and readded it with:

Act as part of the operating system

Administrators

Backup Operators

Log on as a batch job

Logon as a service

Users

I then readded UPGRADE\backupadmin configuration and settings -> logon accounts with the following:

User name: UPGRADE\backupadmin

Password: ********

Confirm Password: ********

Account name: UPGRADE\backupadmin

unchecked "This is a restricted logon account (because I'm not the only administrator to these backups)

unchecked "This is my default account" (because all of our servers use different logins)

I then go to UPGRADE, right-click, and select Backup -> Backup to dedupe disk

First thing that pops up is "Select a logon account to use when connecting to resource 'UPGRADE'

I choose UPGRADE\backupadmin

That brings up a "Browse Failure" window with some information.

I've confirmed that the password is correct (I've reset it multiple times) and the UPGRADE has been rebooted several times through out this process. I'm at a loss here.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is BE and the remote agent fully updated ? Is NDMP port 10000 open for use by the remote agent ?

Run the SymHelp Tool on both servers and check if any issues are identified or not - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170752

RWhited
Level 3

Hello and thank you for the quick response.

Due to Air Force policy, I can't specify what version of the product we're on, but I can tell you that port 10000 is open for Symantec. I will try to get permission to run SymHelp Tool and I will get back to you.

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

Enable debug on Windows 2008 server (BE debug)

THen browse or try to enumerate it until you get the logon prompt.

The last few lines of Debug should show you the problem (Logon falure and it will be a windows error code) or it Logon as batch right. You may have it enabled but there is a policy right to deny logon as batch which maybe enabled.

Attempt to browse a Windows 2008 server in Backup Selections, from Backup Exec installed on a Windows 2003 server, fails with the error "Access is Denied"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66221

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74365

RWhited
Level 3

Sorry for the delay, we got caught up with something else, I've ran the debug and found what I believe to be the relevant lines.