cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 10 to 10d...now getting Ready; no idle devices are available.

R_Johnson
Level 3
Hi All

I've upgraded my backupexec v10 to v10d.

v10 worked a treat and backed up to tape fine every day.

Now I'm on v10d and it will not backup anything!?! Each time I perform a backup, inventory, erase or label I get Ready; no idle devices are available in the job monitor.

I'm using a Dell 122T autoloader. BackupExec is on Windows 2000 SP4 as a DC on a Dell PowerEdge 2650.

I've updated drivers, switched off tape drive, reboot server blah blah still to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
7 REPLIES 7

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi Jonhson,

Sorry to ask you silly question.. has the autoloader got detected in BE and removal storage.

Why i am asking means, if you are connecting the Autoloader with Scsi Raid array contrller card(inbuilt) it wont get detect, you have to connect with external scsi card.

The same problem i had with windows 2003, BE10d, HP autoloader. I brought new SCSI card connected with that and i just reinstalled the SCSI driver, my problem had resolved.

R_Johnson
Level 3
Its connected to a SCSI card.

It worked before so it should work now! Its annoying...have a support call open with Symantec but they are not able to fix the problem at the moment.

I may just uninstalling backup exec...reboot...then install backup exec 10d again and reconfigure everything. Its probably easier!

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi john,

I dont think, reinstalling BE is the right solution from Administrator. Just keep that as last option. in worst case you can do that.. Becasue.. if you reinstall BE then you have to spend hell a lot of time to re catalogue the tapes, just think abt that.

Try to restart the Removal storage service from Windows servicse. And try to reinstalld the Veritas driver for Robatric library.

R_Johnson
Level 3
I've tried everything the only way I can backup is to do it to a backup folder!

Tech support are not much help at the mo plus I can't understand their accent!

I've uninstalled it...waiting till I can reboot.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks a lot and regards.

R_Johnson
Level 3
The full re-install has worked to a fashion.

I no longer get no idle devices are available...but all my media is now "Unknown Media". I ran an inventory, after 9 hours it had only reached 75%! This normally takes 10 mins!

I can initialize lock and unlock the tape drive ok!

Does anyone know what this means and how you can get it to known media so I can do my backups?

Many thanks

R_Johnson
Level 3
Looks like the cleaning tape was the cause of all problems...or it was stuck?!

Took all the tapes out of the autoloader and then just put two data tapes in. Ran inventory, label and full backup - Everything OK.

Un-installed v10 and then installed v10d all is working fine and dandy!