cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Backup Exece 12.5 (SP3) to 2010, info needed

kryznix
Level 3
Hi,

I've been given the task of upgrading our Backup Exec server and was hoping to get some info.  More specifically any upgrade documents and instructions, as well as known issues and tips. 

Hopefully this will not be very painful.

Thanks.

-Chris
21 REPLIES 21

rustypeterson
Level 3
I find myself in the same boat. I too am looking for a few tips on upgrading from 12.5 to 2010.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Guys,

I am busy with this now...so far I have a couple of issues, the main 1 dealing with a SQL database upgrade failure. IN this case, kiss BEWS goodbye, and redo from scratch if you haven't done the following below:

1. Stop ALL BEWS and the SQL\BKUPEXEC services. The reason for this is that I suggest you make a copy of your Data and Catalogs folders, and place this in another folder.
2. Make sure you have all your license keys readily available. It prevents you from having to run through the licensing wizard all over again.
3. If you have a CASO environment, make copies of your Data and Catalogs folder. Before upgrading a managed server, disjoin that server from your CASO. If you don't, you will be hacking entries out of your registry, and having done that, it takes some time!
4. If you have an antivirus, disable it during the upgrade. We run McAfee, and I seriously suspect that it was the cause of my SQL database upgrades of BKUPEXEC failing, and trashing the server's backup software as a result. You can always enable it again.

The actual upgrade itself is painless, and has a nice timer to show you how far you have gone. If you have a CASO environment, upgrade the CASO server first, and then try doing your media servers as quickly as possible there-after.

My 2 cents, and I hope it helps! I will now continue with my upgrades!!!!! =)

lATERS!

kryznix
Level 3
Good info! Thanks Craig, this is exactly the type of stuff we need.

rustypeterson
Level 3
Thanks Craig
We had to strip everything out when we upgraded to 12.5, so I am hoping to avoid having to go through that again. Good luck with your upgrade.

CraigV
Cool guys, no problems!
If it helps, will you close it off as such...?

kryznix
Level 3
I'm bumping this thread cuz I still cannot seem to find any documentation on how to upgrade to 2010 from 12.5 

The docs I have found are pretty weak.  I don't want to go into this blind and blow up the server.  

Thanks.

kryznix
Level 3
No one upgrading?  

CraigV
Use my strategy above...that is all you need to do. The rest of the upgrade itself is pretty straight-forward. BEWS will simply upgrade all your components.

1 thing I WOULD like to add is to disable your AV while doing the upgrade. I am very sure that McAfee played a major role in SQL not upgrading, and in turn corrupting my SQL database.

race_man6
Level 2
Do the license keys that were installed for the server and agents in 12.5 work for 2010?  The version upgrade email notification I received had only one license key.

hiestandc
Level 3
Do you need to match the license keys from the Symantec Upgrade email to the ones currently on the servers? We have a total of four servers, each with BEX 12 installed locally - no CASO here, and have three license keys. Two of them are individual licenses, one is a double.

Thanks!

Laiky
Level 2
Luckily i ghosted my c: drive prior to the upgrade.

When i run the upgrade, i get an indication that is was successfull but the BE server service won't start. I found yesterday that the beserver.exe and bengine.exe are not any where on the drive after the upgrade. The path that is referenced in services does not have the .EXEs. Any suggestions?

CraigV
Hi there, did your upgrade succeed, and if so, can you close whichever off here as the solution?

Thanks!

CraigV
what sort of errors did you get during your upgrade?

kryznix
Level 3

No I decided to put the upgrade off for a bit due to lack of feedback about it.  The last thing I need is to break something I don't know how to fix.  Plus the upgrade wasn't imperitive, everything is currently working OK.  I will probably revisit this in a month or so and see if there is more feedback from others who have done the upgrade.

CraigV
The important thing is just to make sure you have a copy of your Data and Catalogs folder before doing anything.
I know there have been some issues with the downloads. Maybe look at downloading the installation media again?

CraigV
Any news dude? Has this helped at all?

kryznix
Level 3
No news,  but I am going to go ahead with the upgrade soon, not exactly sure when but very soon.  I will update asap.

CraigV

kryznix
Level 3

Thanks Craig,  had to put this on the back burner again but I am doing it today.  Copied the DATA and CATALOGS folders,  doing windows updates now.  Now that the update is part of the Live Update I have less anxiety lol