cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 2010 R2 to 2014 fails due to SQL version

HTH
Level 3

Afternoon.

I have been having massive issues with our backups since upgrading some of our Hardware. I eventually traced it down to the same issue listed here http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/issue-dell-tl2000-tape-library with 6gbps sas hba cards, Dell LTO5 and backup exec 2010 causing controller errors (11 and 129).

As I was unable to fix it hardware wise, It came time to bite the bullet and upgrade to 2014 sp1. Issue is it fails at the pre validation stage with the error "An incompatible version of SQL Server is installed on this computer. If you know that you are running a compatible version of SQL, you may need to upgrade it to the latest service pack. For more information on Backup Exec's installation requirements, see the Backup Exec Software Compatibility List at: http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-269-1

So I have tried the following with it still failing

upgrade to SQL 2005 SP4 express - fails

Complete remove SQL 2005 and let the 2014 install what it needs - fails

Install the latest SQL 2008 R2 express and confirm services a running - fails

My only idea atm is that the uninstall of 2005 was unclean, and it has left something behind which the backup exec upgrade is finding, causing it to halt the install. Within the validation file i can see earlier "Existing instances of Microsoft SQL Server are compatible with Backup Exec.Success 1, Outcome Passed, Name Instance: SQLEXPRESS, Version: 2008 R2," yet it still halts with the above error.

Where is the Install looking to do this check? If i can find out that I can remove/edit that part, whether it be folder/registry and continue, Otherwise is there a way for the installer to be forced to install the SQL componant to it's needs

I have now gone over a week without a complete backup, and I and understandably worried.

Current enviroment - Dell r710, running server 2008 R2, 6Gbps SAS HBA connected to TL2000 Library with 1 LTO5 drive

Thank you

Aaron - HTH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HTH
Level 3

Thank you for your time VJ, 

Was a SQL version issue with another server, I was thrown by the fact the back up server has sql express installed aswell. Have updated to the latest SQL patch, and install is now working.

Hopefully upgrading will fix our Event id 11/129 issue we have had occuring since introducing the 6Gbps SAS HBA cards

Update

And that is a big no. upgraded to Backup Exec 2014, ran backup, Fails at approximately the same point event ID 129 , Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued. followed by Event ID 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1. so getting the same issue as http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/issue-dell-tl2000-tape-library with the same Hardware setup,

Should I close this ticket and open a new one with the original issue?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

See if this helps - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216807

HTH
Level 3

Thanks VJware, but i am not even getting that far for those errors to occur.

Secondly, My predacessor Installed Backup Exec 2010 on our main file sever/Domain controller which may also be causing issues with the upgrade now.

Aaron - HTH

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls post the BE and SQL install logs.

HTH
Level 3

attached is the validation.xml, it is not getting far enough to create the install logs in c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\logs.

Thou looking through our setup atm, we are using a seperate server to host or sql db's for backup exec. During the verification process does it check the validation of this server as well? at the moment it is not on the latest sp, and if this is the case, then i will need to get the SQL manager to update this server.

HTH
Level 3

Thank you for your time VJ, 

Was a SQL version issue with another server, I was thrown by the fact the back up server has sql express installed aswell. Have updated to the latest SQL patch, and install is now working.

Hopefully upgrading will fix our Event id 11/129 issue we have had occuring since introducing the 6Gbps SAS HBA cards

Update

And that is a big no. upgraded to Backup Exec 2014, ran backup, Fails at approximately the same point event ID 129 , Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued. followed by Event ID 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1. so getting the same issue as http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/issue-dell-tl2000-tape-library with the same Hardware setup,

Should I close this ticket and open a new one with the original issue?

VJware
Level 6

Have you ran vendor diagnostics against the tape hardware ?

HTH
Level 3

Unfortuantly, both the original library and the new library pass the vendor diagnostics with flying colours. I'm about to set up the original library and card in a test server not running the 6Gbps SAS HBA card to confirm it is a config error with the card and Backup exec.

I can not be the only Dell server/card/library running Backup Exec with this problem.