cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from BE 8.6

Paul_Gembicki
Level 2
Greetings,

We're going to be upgrading from Backup Exec version 8.6 to 11.0d shortly. We'll likely be installing on a fresh hardware platform and decommission the old one.

Can we import or otherwise migrate our existing media catalogs into the new installation?
5 REPLIES 5

Paul_Gembicki
Level 2
Any word on this? I'd like to be confident our upgrade will go smoothly before beginning.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Paul,

It would be better if you first save both the DATA and CATALOGS folder to a different location. Then start the installation over the existing one so that the earlier configration remains. Reboot once done.

============

Paul_Gembicki
Level 2
Thank you kindly for your response,

One of reasons we're planning on a fresh install is because the hardware platform the 8.6 installation is on is becoming obsolete. A better host server is worth the reconfiguration to me. My question was whether I'd run into problems importing or otherwise incorporating my tape catalogs into the new install.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Since 8.6 is no longer supported, it would be recommended that you upgrade to Backup Exec 9.x first and then go about upgrading to 11d.

As far as upgrading from 9.x to 11d is concerned the Catalogs do get upgraded as well.

As mentioned earlier it would be a better option to save the "Data" and "Catalogs" folder to another partition.

Also read the upgrade section in the following FAQ document:

Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/283427

Regards
Padmaja

Paul_Gembicki
Level 2
I will follow your recommendation.

Thank you very much for your help.