cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Backup Exec 12 - Licensing

Superdude500
Level 2
Hi there.

We are wanting to upgrade four of our Backup Exec 10 servers to Backup Exec 12. licensing wise i am a bit confused. We have a support agreement for each one.

I understand i cant use the original license key from the v10 installations and that i need to "upgrade" this to a Backup Exec 12 license? Ive been going through all the paperwork and found the original certificate we got when we bought the software for two of the servers. Is it just a case of logging in and putting this serial number in to the licensing site to get my new key?

Also if i cant find the original paperwork is there any way to get the information i need from Backup Exec on the Server itself? I had a look on About>Help>Licensing but there was nothing useful there.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On each media server, look for a BESERNUM.XML file in the Windows or WINNT directory.   it contains all the serials entered on each server

if yu have a current maintenance contract, you should have been sent a upgrade letter with serials to enable you to install v12
if you don't, you'll need to purchase and upgrade for each media server and agent that you currently have installed 

Carlos_-_Dept__
Level 3

Well, I had the same question. Another thing  u can do (what i done) was calling to Licesing support.

After some checks, we found the email was wrong, so i changed it.

Then I go to upgrade section, checked on "I dont have an upgrade" and I saw all the pending upgrades (the emails I didnt receive)

Then follow the steps and... voila! new serials.

bvlv009
Level 2

Hi Superdude500 ,

I suggest you to call 1800-721-3934 to get the upgrade notification ID for your v12.

Thats a lot easier.

Regards,
GM

Symantec Corp