cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uregent Help

Azhar_Ali
Level 4
Problem is that restores are taking too much
time. (Doing catalog on tape takes like 2 hours)
Please see the right procedures on how to
restore and what are the right options
when priority is to have the data restored
as quickly as possible. What are the best options
keeping this in mind ?

This due on Monday.

Jenni
2 REPLIES 2

Azhar_Ali
Level 4
Hi again,

Due to some mistake, message was pasted as I received from my colleague. I am almost new with Veritas product and I just need some reference material which I can read in order to fullfil this task or some advice that how the exact resukts can be achieved inmost prcise way.

Thanks !

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
hello,

You may try the following steps to improve the restore performance:
1. When the option 'Use storage Media-based catalogs' is selected, Backup Exec is able to read the catalog information that is on the media. This allows the catalog operation to complete much quicker as it is not reading
each file on the media to build a new catalog. If the option, Use storage media-based catalogs is not selected during a catalog operation, all files on the tape must be read file-by-file to create a new catalog and it will take more time to complete the procedure.
So, by selecting the option 'Use storage Media-based catalogs', may improve the restore performance.
For more detail information, refer to the following technote:
Title:"What is the "Use storage media-based catalogs" option in Backup Exec and what are the effects of deselecting it?"
URL:-http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/200962.htm

2. If you have selected pre-job and post-job command (i.e Execute before restore and execute after restore),it will take time to restore the data.
3. Ensure that Antivirus services are stopped before starting the restore and have checked "Enable Agents using TCP/IP Protocol" on Tools-->options-->network tab

4. Ensure that Remote Agent is install and running properly on remote ( destination system)
5.We do not recommend to open or run any third party application while restore job is running. it will slowdown the restore

9.Update the drivers of SCSI controller and NIC.Update the firmware of device with the latest version available.

For more information refer to the admin handbook ( page 497 onwards)
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Thanks
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.