cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use BE 2010 to backup one server and restore to another..

dlt
Level 3

Hi,

The forum layout seems a little different so not sure if this is getting into the correct forum but here you have it anyway.

I have a situation:  2 identical servers, one has been configure as an integration server and the other one is supposed to be the backup – which currently only has the OS installed.  My question is: can I run a backup of the configured server and restore to the one that’s not?  Again these two server are identical in OS and hardware.  I need to get the second box to look exactly like the first.  Possible??

We're using Backup Exec 2010 Version 13.0 Rev2896

Thanks in advance for any help on this,

D

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Install the backup-exec agent on the second server, and restore a full system backup to it.

After a reboot it should be exactly a copy of your first server.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can. Only need to make sure the name of target server is same as original one, if you plan to restore system state. System state comprises of registry and other system files. This restore would be required if you want this server to be an exact image and you would like to have applications/reigstry etc to be restored as original.

Although, if it is just data/file system which you plan to restore, same name is not a condition then.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

dlt
Level 3

so when you say exactly a copy of the first server...does this mean the IP addressing as well? 

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you get everything exactly same, including ip addressing if system state was restored. But, for system state restore, you setup the machine with same name as mentioned in my previous comment.

Thanks

dlt
Level 3

The server name is different as well as IP addresses.  What I'm after is the installed items and system configuration changes.  The box is going to be used as a failover and it's not clustered (for whatever reason).  so in case of the first box failing I need to have the second box configured the same.  config files will be edited to point to the second box if the first box fails.

Can I do that through the restore and not select the system state?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In case you have to recover the first server, you will have to rename the second standby server to the first name, and then start the restore with system state.