cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 1 physical disk for multiple backups

Level 2
I recently purchased BE 10 for Windows Servers

I am using a set of connected disk drives (7) which I use as Removeable Devices for my backup jobs

Each disk is far larger than I need for a single night's backup.

Is there a way to utilize the same disk for two backups (say Monday 1 and Monday 2), without partitioning ?

Thanks

JM
6 REPLIES 6

jsansoterra
Level 3
Why not create a removable BTD device on each of the disks, then assign a particular day's backups to the desired BTD device.

MON, TUE ---> BTD1 (DRIVE1)
WED, THU ---> BTD2 (DRIVE2)
FRI ---> BTD3 (DRIVE3)

etc. etc.

Mani_2
Level 6
Yes. You can create different folders(Eg. Mon, Tue) on that particular partition and create Backup-to-Disk folders and select the folder(Mon, Tue) created and configure the backup jobs by selecting the appropriate backup-to-disk folder.

Configure the Media Set properties appropriately by referring the following Technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

Level 2
Thank you for your replies and I apologize for my tardiness in responding

On the advice of the installer, due to the "swappable" nature of the disk array, I have set up my devices under "Removable Backup to disk" devices.

I cannot see a way to create the "backup to Disk" folders, while using a "removeable backup to disk" devices - it says I can only use the "root" drive when I try to do so.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks again

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello there,

You cannot create Backup-to-disk folders while using removable backup-to-disk. You will be allowed to create only one removable backup to disk using one drive.

If you wish to use the same device for two backup jobs then you can append to the device and the next job will add to the remaining space on the drive. Hope this is clear. Open backup job properties, and select the option "Append media" under device and media tab.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,
Kindly update us on this issue.
Is your query resolved ?Does the solution provided work?

Waiting for your response.

dlarouche
Level 3
You can have as many BTD as your disk can support if you use a prepost script to perform a BTD file rotation