cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Backup Exec 2010 and Netgear NAS Drive

juddy
Level 2

OK experts, I need some pointers regarding getting the optimal setup configuration for our backup jobs.  My setup:

Backup Exec 2010 running on a Windows 2008 server, backing up files/folders, SQL databases and Exchange 2007 (using the agents) to a Netgear 2100 ReadyNAS device.

I have two jobs created:

Weekly full (backups up all our data, retains for 4 weeks) run on a Friday.

Daily incremental (incremental data backup, retains for 4 weeks) run Mon - Thurs.

The backups go to two folders (stored on the NAS):

Daily

Weekly

We are going to have a lease line installed to back up the NAS device to an off site location and will be pushing the current weekly data backup 'up the pipe' on a Sunday and the current daily incremental nightly, Monday to Thursday in the same direction.

My concerns are:

To ensure that I have uploaded the current daily / weekly backup set via the lease line, should I just copy the current .bkf file (I can't copy the entire daily or weekly folder as it carries up to four weeks of data and we have limited space)?  I notice that there are some IMG folders and I believe these have something to do with Exchange; my question is what exactly are they as the dates of creation do no match with the .BKF files.  If they are vital, can they be created elsewhere?

Other questions:

What is Backup Exec Retrieve and Continuous Protection Server and am I licensed for it 'out of the box'?

I am not using Continuous Protection Server for Exchange at present, but I notice there is a check box to use it....should I?

We have three servers protected by Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, does this 'interface' with Backup Exec 2010 in any way?  We currently have the servers creating a once a week image to a folder on the NAS.

I appreciate any help you may be able to give me and am open to any suggestions how best to protect our network with any strategies you may think relevant.

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess I need to address your main question first

Symantec do not recommend flat file backups (or copies) of BKF files and in some cases your ability to restore will be extremely time consuming and perhaps even fail if you do flat file backups. As such we only recommend duplicating Backup to Disk content with duplicate jobs inside of Backup Exec.

To explain the reason, think of the Backup Exec Database (BEDB held in SQL), the Catalog files (in the Catalogs folder on the media Server) and the content of the B2D location (BKF files and IMG folders) as "one big relational database". If you let any part of the big database become inconsistent from any other part then there will be problems.

Now imagine this scenario - you use a load of B2D files back in April (so beyond 4 weeks ago) and these are copied using your Leased line/NAS function to somewhere else, then after 4 weeks later jobs overwrite the B2D files in question and re-write the catalogs and the database content for the media index accordingly.  (In fact from April this process would happen a few times.)

Then today you decide you need to restore the old structure to restore something ...

- What do you do with the 'new' versions of the same files that hold valid more recent backups?

- How do you get the BEDB content back to consistent with the files you have just copied back.

- How do you update the catalogs?

Basically to be consistent you would at least have to restore the bedb from the same date as you copied the B2D data and be prepared to run another catalog job - but this still leaves you with the problem of how you handle your more recent data - which would mean shutting down the backup servers and copying away catalogs and the current database before you copy the data back to the NAS and start the actual restore.

The other option is only restore that data to a clean media server that has never run any jobs and then just Inventory and Catalog what you have restored -  obviously this needs you to have a clean media server available to do the restore.

------------------

Against you other questions:

IMG folders are part of the GRT process - and are equivalent to BKF files for backup sets using GRT (Exchange, Active Directory AVVI etc) hence their content is critical as if you don't protect it, you won't be able to restore.

BESR is currently a seperate product with no integration with BEWS. However I suspect (but you might want to post in the BESR forums) that you can copy your BESR images aorund more easiliy than the BKF/IMG information. As far as I know it won't cause problems with Backup Exec on the same system - with the possible exception of what happens at a VSS level if you run a Backup Exec job at the same time as a BESR image is being built.

CPS provides added functaionality to Backup Exec in terms of a replication environment for data that can then be backed up - I think it is now bundled as part of The Media Server and Remote Agent licensing, however is not installed/enabled by default - there should be more information in the admin guide about it's use and how adding CPS into Exchange changes your backup process.

juddy
Level 2

So, to ensure I can restore from off site (via lease line) backups in the event of the building burning down (etc), exactly what data would I need to push up the lease line Colin?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You would need to create a B2D folder on the NAS at the Remote Site, then Duplicate your backups from your local NAS to the Remote NAS

You can do this automatically with a policy (and Symantec even provides a template to help you.  See the Admin Guide)

How do you plan to recover data in the case of an disaster?  Across the Link after rebuilding the failed server?  or bring the NAS local and restore over the LAN?

What speed is your Leased Line?  Depending on the speed and the amount of data you are backing up, backing up/restoring over the link may not be feasible.

desiw1
Not applicable

Guys - thanks for the information. I get these same questions regarding replication of the B2D folders from ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS or to cloud storage. My general answer is yes, it can work but better to use a duplicate job using a BEWS.

I am now getting the same questions when it comes to BEWS 2010 and a deduplication storage folder. We can replicate the iSCSI lun ( holding the deduplicated data and the associated SQL database that tracks the deduplicated data ) from ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS but again the BEDB and catalog files are not replicated.

Since BEWS 2010 only allows for one deduplication storage folder, I assume the only way to get a copy offsite would be to duplicate to a regular B2D folder on an offsite NAS but the data would expand to full size ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you implement a CASO environment you can have DeDup Storage folders on more than one server (including in a different site - although this is link relaibility/performance dependent) and run jobs between them  to achieve what you are after - I believe the term used against this process is called this Optimized DeDuplication