cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Tapes with Symantec Backup Exec 2010 r3 - Tutorial

coolgod
Level 4

Hi All,

I need a tutorial that explain the basic concepts of using tape with Symantec BE 2010 R3.

e.g I want to know if i use a tape that already has data on it, will that tape be overwritten.

I have a stand alone tape drive connected on the Dell MAchine T610. it can accomodate only 1 tape at a time.

Thanks. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I want to know if i use a tape that already has data on it, will that tape be overwritten

Yes. It will be overwritten.

You should familiarise yourself with the media management section of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory, then ask specific question.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you want to transfer all your settings from media server 1 to media server 2, then read the TN below...this means all settings are carried across, and no need to catalog every single tape you want to add into the new server's BEDB:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I want to know if i use a tape that already has data on it, will that tape be overwritten

Yes. It will be overwritten.

You should familiarise yourself with the media management section of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory, then ask specific question.

coolgod
Level 4

thanks for guiding.

i need some clariffication on "Keep Data for 4 Weeks"

the documentation says  "..allows the media to be appended to for six days"

I dont understand this or i might understood it incorrectly..

can you explain with an example ?

coolgod
Level 4

i will continue using same tapes from Backup Server 1 (Symantec BE 2010 R3) in the

New Backup Server 2 (Symantec BE 2010 R3). Backup Server 1 will be discarded.

Am a bit scared with using the tapes on the new  Backup Server 2.

Please guide how should I proceed.

CraigV

...if you want to transfer all your settings from media server 1 to media server 2, then read the TN below...this means all settings are carried across, and no need to catalog every single tape you want to add into the new server's BEDB:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For a better understanding of OPP and AP, see this document

OPP and AP explanation

coolgod
Level 4

ok thx for this doc.

Alternatively, if i don't do this migration, will the new Backup server be able to overwrite the backups on the existing tapes that have an overwrite protection of 4 weeks ?

CraigV

No, if you put the tapes into the library and they haven't been catalogged, or manually moved to a media set with OPP of 4 weeks, they are treated as scratch and will be overwritten as soon as they are required.

So you'd have to manually add them to an equivalent media set.

Thanks!