cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using backups for long term storage

Matt_Lockridge
Not applicable
I've got an easy one for you guys and girls.

I want to store some data on a tape long term (5+ years). However, I have some concerns about being able to restore that data in the future.

Can I restore the data if my backup server crashes and I lose my backup database and all its history?

Will the media "degrade" and not be usable?

Are there anymore concerns that I should be aware of before I go backing up and deleting data?

Thanx ahead and I appreciate all of the "Forum Warriors" out there that keep guys like me up and going.

MattLock
2 REPLIES 2

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

For restoring the data from the tape you just need to inventory the tape first so that Backup Exec reocgnises the tape and then "catalog" the tape.

If the "Catalog" job is successful then the data on the tape can be restored..

As far as the tape becoming "unusable" is concerned , it depends on the hardware being used and the way its stored on an off-site location...

Please note that if Backup Exec fails to recognise the tape due to its "unusable" condition it may not be possible to restore the data from the tape.

Regards
Padmaja

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
For media degradation, it depends upon the media type and the storage conditions. E.g. LTO media has a lifespan of about 30 years when properly stored.
It would be a good idea to keep a copy of the Backup Exec installation CD with the media, in case it's hard to get hold of in the future.