Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using replicated CIFS volume for Backup 2 Disk Storage

Rob_Coenders
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I'm trying to access a replicated cifs volume with a second Backup Exec Media server 2012. Both BE Media servers are standalone (no caso) and are in the same domain.

When i try to configure the replicated storage as a backup 2 Disk device i get a access denied and cannot added to the recovery backup server. The volume can be connected as a volume under windows 2008R2 without a problem but i will get a access denied when trying to write to it.

The configuration is as follows:

Production Site:

Windows 2008R2 fully patched, Backup Exec 2012 Fully patched.

Storage is CIFS storage on a Dell DR4000 deduplication Unit.

Recovery Site:

Windows 2008R2 Fully patched, backup Exec 2012 Fully patched

Storage has to be the replicated CIFS storage on a second Dell DR4000 deduplication unit.

Both servers are running at the same domain, with the same backup exec service account and logon accounts. Replication is block based and performed bij the DR4000 units. Both CIFS are identical only the path to teh CIFS is different. Hostname and Sharename are different.

I'm almost shure that the problem is caused by Backup Exec and the security placed on the B2d Folders. But how to solve it ..? I know that using CASO and optimized duplication is the way to go but because of problems with the backup exec deduplication option and storage this customer is using the DR4000 units and replication.

Regards,

Rob Coenders

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...replicating on an array-basis wouldn't be the right way to do this. You'd need CASO to control how the data is moved around. This in turn ensures that the remote server will be aware of the data that has been replicated via the CASO.

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As Craig has rightly said, BE CASO should be used to duplicate data to the data. When you setup a deduplication unit with 1 Backup Exec Server you could use the duplicate backups function to allow the data to be duplicated to the other server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Replicating disk storage without the Catalogs and the BEDB is a really, really bad idea

Please see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061 for an explanation

Not that the above would cause the access denied issue, that is something to do with your replication setup

As CraigV implied you should probably be looking at a CASO/ESO setup and potentially add Deduplication and a Private cloud configuration to that and then do Optimized Duplication between the servers.

Private Cloud information (please ignore anyt references to VPNs and partner setups, privtae cloud can be used in an internal WAN setup):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172464

Rob_Coenders
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I understand that there are some problemns with the use of replication on an array based volume. But the second Media server is completely stand-by. There are no running jobs, no extra diskfolders with backup data. The second unit is only used when there is a complete loss of the data on the production site. When this is happening there is enough time to run an inventroy and catalog.

When using duplicates in the CASO environment the amount of data going to the second DR4000 is the same as the orignal backup (no deduplication). Optimized duplication is as far as i understand only availlable when used with the deduplication option.

Using the Dr4000 replication reduces the used capacity of the network because only changes are replicated ( after deduplication )

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the situation is exactly the same when i have lost my mediaserver, build a new one and try to access the old backup 2 disk folder on the storage using the same backup exec service account and logon accounts.