Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-10000-11223 - VSS error on mounted drives

NJF
Level 3

I am running backups on my mediaserver from mounted drives from another server

I am using backup exec 2010

The backups run with the exceptions below.

Backup- BACKUPSERVER - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "F:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected cannot snap this volume. Select the default snapshot provider, and then run the job again.

When I click on the drives under shadow copies I get Volume is not eligble for shadows copies which is correct as they are mounted drives.

Is there anyway of stopping symantec showing this exception as all I want symantec to do is backup some content on these drive.

I don't want it to do anything with VSS so I dont see why it is throwing this exception.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is AOFO set to choose the VSS writer automatically, or have you specified one? If the latter, choose Automatic and see what happens.

Thanks,

Craig

NJF
Level 3

Craig

In Advanced Open File I have "use Advanced Open File Option" unselected

I have also done it with "Automatically select open file technology"

I get the same warning with both

thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Check the link below and see if it helps you at all...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67073&key=15047&actp=LIST

Thanks!

NJF
Level 3

Craig

thanks for the article

I looked at the article and my drives are "not eligible for shadow copies" as they are mounted snapshots.

I just want these mounted drives to be dealt with as if they were normal drives on the server and their files to be backed up normally

I am not using AOFO so I don't see why it is throwing these warning

thanks