cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database discover that is not configured to support log backups.

harps
Level 4

Hi Folks

I get the following error on my backups.

Backup- SIMSSRV.school.local\SIMS2008
V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database discover that is not configured to support...

Any ideas please?

13 REPLIES 13

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This happens when log backup is being attempted on dBs which have the recovery model set to Simple. You can deselect these dBs from the log backup (you would need a separate job in BE 2012) or change the Recovery Model to Full.

harps
Level 4

would there be any consequences of changing it to Full as opposed to simple?

Also how would i go about changing that?

Any ideas would be much appreciated

VJware
Level 6

Hope this helps - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH11060

harps
Level 4

Asking a dumb question, could is it important to carry out log backups? are the essential for a recovery?

sorry for the question

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You configure full recovery mode if you need to do point-in-time restores.  Full recovery mode maintains transaction logs.  If you do not do log backups and truncate the transaction logs, then they will keep growing and eventually fill up your disk.

For your initial problem, I would suggest that you leave the database with simple recovery mode.  Exclude this database from your backup job with the log backups.  Create another job to backup this database and don't include a log backup job.

harps
Level 4

Hi

Im setting up a job solly for the databases. Can you tell me where the option is to exclude the log files please?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is nothing to exclude.  Logs are not involved when you do a SQL database backup.

harps
Level 4

Hi

Ive made a seperate backup of the database and i still get the error about the log files. You stated on the 16thApril

"For your initial problem, I would suggest that you leave the database with simple recovery mode.  Exclude this database from your backup job with the log backups.  Create another job to backup this database and don't include a log backup job."

I dont understand the part in bold

please help

harps
Level 4

i forgot to add, im just running a full backup of the db daily now. no incramentals

Colin_Weaver

To make this simple -

Whether or not you should run Transaction Log backups in Backup Exec against SQL is directly linked to the SQL recovery model of the database itself.

Simple Recovery model set in SQL = do not run Transaction Log backups, if you try to run a Transaction log backup against a DB in this mode you will get the error saying log backups are not supported.

Either Full or Bulk Logged Recovery models = you should run Transaction Log backups periodically as a Full/Differential backup does not truncate the logs. You may periodically see a warning telling you to run a Transaction Log Backup when running full/differential backups against a DB configured with either of these modes. This warning is just a reminder.

Now whether or not you should reconfigure SQL for a different model is really down to what sort of recovery methods you may want to use and may need to be discussed (by your SQL administrator)  with the developer/vendor of the application that uses the SQL database (because they probably have recommendations for backup and restore practices against the application)

An explanation of the different models can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx

harps
Level 4

Is there not a way of telling backup exec to not bother with log files so i dont recieve errors?

Colin_Weaver

If you get the error during a full backup and your database is in Simple mode - then you should log a technical support case as this should not happen.

harps
Level 4

ok, i will get in touch with support.

thanks for your help