cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-38743 - A Backup Exec media server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine.

sptechie25
Level 3

Hi 

I am getting the above mentioned error while backing up the VDR appliance (which is a Linux machine / Non Windows VM), i have checked on the Symantec support website and its all mentioning that Backup Exec should be installed on Physical server and we got that installed on Physical Server only.

Also, i have done the similar backup earlier and it ran successfull with out any errors and i am doing the similar backup as new backup job.

Note: for this i have scratched the destination media used for this backup job which is used previously and put that in scratch Media, so that Tape can be picked up from this Scratch Media set and put in to the the Destined Media set specified in this Current backup Job.

I have disabled GRT for this VM backup job and ran the backup, it still doesn't run, also i did tried restarting the backup exec services and restarted the backup Exec server, still no luck.

Please let me know if i am missing anything on this.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you selecting the Virtual Machine that is the appliance via the vCenter view/selections or via the ESX Host view/selections - as I believe in this instance you have to use the ESX Host to create the job and not the vCenter

sptechie25
Level 3

Well, i have ran the same backup earlier and did run successfully, through vCenter vew selections only. the same when i am doing it now, its not running and giving the above error message.

So, i dont that should be the problem in this case, however i would give it a try and see if that helps any.

Please let me know if anything else to look for inorder to sort this backup run successfully.

Thanks

sptechie25
Level 3

Also, i think its best to view it through vcenter view because we got HA and DRS enabled on our Cluster in vCenter environments and that VDR might migrate depending on the resources available.

sptechie25
Level 3

Colin,

OK, i have just ran backup using through ESXi mode as you mentioned earlier and it did ended up with the same error for which i have posted here.

To add to this, i have ran other backup jobs of different VDRs and the same VDR backup job which i am running now has ran the backup job successfully earlier and Yesterday with out any issues and its not doing it now.

So, let me know more on this and i will check further with this if i can make it run succesfull.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138450

sptechie25
Level 3

Gurvinder Rait,

Well, i have already lookeda that article as i mentioned in my post and that article info doesn't relate to my environments.

We are not using backup exec on a VM and is already installed on Physical Server and have ran this sort of backups earlier and just not doing it now for some reason and i need to find out this and make this backup job successful.

Thanks

Mike_De
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
I am having the same issue, started a few months back. I just upgrade to BE2012 SP2 and the problem is still persisting. Did you ever fix it? Mike