cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VFF Error Exchange 2007, Backup Exec 2010

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Exact Error Message: Backup- \\Servername\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage GroupV-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

Server Details: SBS 2008, Exchange 2007 SP2 8.2.0176

Hardware Details: Intel Xeon 2.66 Processor, 4GB Physical RAM, Page file size of 6.5 GB on second drive, over 100GB of Free space on System and Data drives.

Backup Exec Version Details: Backup Exec 2010, Media Server Version 13.0 Rev 2896 (64Bit)

This backup used to run fine.  We updated BE using Live Update and ever since this has started to occur.  Unfortunatly i am not exactly sure which update has caused the issue.

• I have recreated the Exchange backup job but still get the error. 
  • We are not using VFF Open File, but the exchange backup is configured to use GRT which is important in our exchange environment!
  • Server has been rebooted and the problem continues to occur
  • Have edited the registry as per steps 1 and 2 on the following Symantec KB: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127758 the problem continues (server has been rebooted since)

Any help on this is really apprecaited! Its now becoming urgent as i havent had a sucesful exchange backup in 2 weeks!

Thanks

Ben

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Prime_Networks
Level 3

So we cannot use GRT?? I cant beleive that is the solution? Thats a big part of our backup and it worked before the updates?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you read the article you can see that Symantec is investigating this problem, and they may be working on a hotfix.

You can contact Symatec support about the status of this issue.

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Even if i dont have a support contract with them?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, they cannot help you without support contract.
If it is a new purchase, the first year of support is included.

BTW: you can try to install BE2010R3, you can 'free' upgrade to this version, it uses the same license keys as BE2010.

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Thanks for all the help so far.

How do i download the R3 free upgrade?

Let me know

Thanks.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Go to Fileconnect and enter your serial number (M.......)

https://fileconnect.symantec.com//

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Hmmm this is a bit of a problem.  We purchase Symantec Backup Exec OEM from Dell and it comes with a license key, but we have never received the Certificate with the serial number on! So not sure how to get round this?  The frustrating thing is calling symantec support and giving them the license key number they dont seem to be able to provide me with the serial!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can get a trial license here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=93355

After downloading and during install use your 'normal' license key so you have a licensed installation.
(I think you even don't have to provide the license key during installation).

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Do i need to uninstall previous version or can i just install this over the top?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

install over the existing version, this will keep all your settings etc...

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Ok so R3 installed.  Now the exchange is failing with a different error:

V-79-57344-937 - The Backup Exec Virtual File Filter driver cannot complete the operation because of an internal error. (Minor error code: 0.0)

There seems to be no information regarding this error anywhere!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Uninstall the Exchange licence

2) Restart the BE services

3) Install the Exchange licence

4) Try again.

Prime_Networks
Level 3

Its small business edition, so there is no seperate exchange license.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

... then try uninstalling the SBS licence.