Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM's/Hyper-V/GRT

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Hi All,

Media server is running 12.5 with SP3.
Backing up 2xMicrosoft 2008 R2 Hyper-V servers running a couple of VM's each.
Have the Hyper-V agent and selected all resources for backup on the host machines.
Have the Remote Agent installed on the hosts and the guest machines.
Have "Use Backup Exec GRT to enable the restore of ...." ticked under the "Microsoft Virtual Server" tab in the Backup Job Properties.

When I click the restore tab and drill down to my Virtual Machines (Under Microsoft Hyper-V resource, Under Host) I thought I should be able to restore individual items.
This does not appear to be the case. I see some large BIN files and a VSV file but not what I expected.
Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Gilly

10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

To use Symantec's Granular Recovery Technology (GRT), install the Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the virtual machine.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/312005
How to backup Hyper-V with Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS)

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Thanks Dev.

As stated previously I have done this already.

Anything else I am missing?

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Just to complicate it.
I'm getting this error when backing up one of the Hyper-V Hosts:
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\HostMachine\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VM1". Advanced Op...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}, Last error: 0x80042...

This appears against each of the VM's running on the host, Shadow Copy Components, System State and the "Initial Store"
Any idea what this could be?
I can verify that vssadmin list writers reports all the writers on the Hyper-V box as being ok.

Thanks,
Gilly

Enimus
Level 2
I have exactly the same problem as per your post above.

Please let me know if you find a solution, and I shall do the same.

Enimus

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Any ideas folks?

camhartis
Level 2
Partner
I receive the same error, but without the GRT settings being utilized.  It appears Backup Exec is giving up on the vss writer before it has a chance to complete the backup.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I think we may require a reboot of the Hyper-V box.

teiva-boy
Level 6
When you want to restore individual items, it's NOT under the Hyper-V section, it's higher up in the selection / restore window.  It will actually show the actual server or virtual server name.

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place?   Look towards the top at the server host names

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi Dev,

I will reboot the box and report back.
Thanks,

Gilly

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Reboot didn't work and now both Host machines are giving the same VSS error for each resource (Each VM, Shadow Copy and System State):

Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

Any idea what this may be? I can confirm that all the writers on both Hyper-V servers are stable.

Thanks,
Gilly