cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware restore issue by Backup Exec.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I am going to provide a solution to the customer for VMware on Backup Exec.

Please, help me with the below query:-

1. Does the restore of the a single VM will restore the entire system and the application inside that OS, without creating and loading the OS.

2. IS it possible to restore a crashed ESX server.

What is the best practice to make the solution perfect.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Answers to your questions 1. Does the restore of the a single VM will restore the entire system and the application inside that OS, without creating and loading the OS. Yes it will restore entrie system and if you want you can do a granulat restore as well . IF you restore the complete Vm you dont really need to load the OS 2. IS it possible to restore a crashed ESX server. You need to backup the ESX server using the BE remote agent for Linux , but have look at the compatibility guide to make sure the ESx server you are running is compatible with RALUS agent . There are very less customer who back up their ESX using Ralus agent as backup of VM is more than Enough Hope this answers your query

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi ,

I am very new to backup exec, Please, help me to understand the meaning of RALUS agent and its usage.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is not related to your original question.  Do start a new discussion.

teiva-boy
Level 6

#2, seeing as how it's now ESXi, and there is no full linux shell to drop into...  Add to that, VMWare does not want you installing anything on the hypervisor.  I'm going to say this advice is NOT advised, supported nor recommended.  This advice would apply to only ESX3.0 at best where there was still RHEL running under the covers.

That said, to setup an ESX server takes less than an hour in simple configs.  Backup your vCenter server for complete DR so you can restore your configs.  

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Ralus is Remote agent for Linux Unix System it is installed on Linux or unix machine to perform a backup .. Like you have remote agent for windows which you install on remote windows machine which you want to backup.

rakesh_gupta
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Mirnal,

Hope you are doing well.

Sepeate Ralus Agent required requird till Backup Exec 12.5. but For Backup Exec 2010, there is no separate download available, RALUS is included on the DVD, and can be found in the "LinuxUnixMac" folder present at the root of the DVD for Backup Exec for 2010.

It is also advisable to check the RALUS compatibility with LINUX host before installation, To check the compatibility refer to:
 http://support.veritas.com/rd/bews-compatibility.htm

Regards
Rakesh Gupta