cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS ISsue - idsvia64.sys is not present on the snapshot

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

Get this on my media server and one remote server when doing a backup.

Backup- System?StateVSS Snapshot warning. File c:\programdata\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.1101.401.105\data\definitions\ipsdefs\20120731.001\idsvia64.sys is not present on the snapshot.

Media server:
Windows 2008 R2 - fully patched
Backup Exec 2010 R3 - fully patched

Remote server:
Windows 2008 R2 - fully patched
Remote agent up to date

I have 3 other servers that are backed up which do not get this error. It is not causing a fail, but would like to clean it up.

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

To get rid of the exceptions create a txt file (dummy file) and rename it as idsvia64.sys and save it 

c:\programdata\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.1101.401.105\data\definitions\ipsdefs\20120731.001\

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Mark,

you may also want to refer to this technote for details of the above post provided by Amol.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126412 : Backups complete with the exception: "VSS snapshot warning. File [PATH] [FILENAME] is not present on the snapshot."

Thanks,

-Sush...

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

That is hardly a solution. Not to mention that is a dynamic directory. Tomorrow the directory name will be different.

I'll open a case with either the Backup Exec team or the SEP team. I think it may be on SEP though.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Mark,

Thats right this is just a workaround from Backup Exec side as the issue really is not originating from Backup Exec side but from the third party vendors (in your case it is SEP).

One of the below mentioned resolutions can also be used to resolve the issue:
1: Contact the vendor of the application the file belongs to for removal / cleanup instructions
2: Reinstall the application the file belongs to and contact the vendor for the proper removal / cleanup of the files it places on the system.

So I think it would be recommended to open a case with SEP so that they can take a call to either cleanup the remaining files and folders of the product  or to perform a reinstall whichever suits the requirement.

Thanks,

-Sush...