cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot warning. File %BeBootDrive%\bootmgr is not present on the snapshot.

gorrie
Not applicable
Can anyone please help me trouble shoot this exception in Back Up Exec 2010

Backup of \\ts.abcdefgh.local\System?State

VSS Snapshot warning. File %BeBootDrive%\bootmgr is not present on the snapshot.
15 REPLIES 15

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Need Some Help:

I have added the registry keys and double checked their accuracy.

I have unselected System State from the job then submitted changes. I then reselected System State and submitted the changes. However, I am still getting the same error message.

Backup Exec 2010 fully updated and running on Server 2003.

I have followed these steps 

Workaround:
Exclude the ASR writer from the list of approved writers

ASR writer id is '{BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4}'.

1. Go to:  Start > Run, key in regedt32 press Enter.  
2. Then go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows Servers \Engine\Shadow Copy Components\
3. Then create a new Additional Not Authorized Writers key.
4. Then, in the Additional Not Authorized Writers key, create a new String value under that key named ASR, with a value of {BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4}

Completing these steps causes Backup Exec to ignore the ASR components.

All backups that have the System State selected and have uEFI will need to have the job recreated or System State removed from the job manually and re-selected.

For information regarding recovery of a server that has uEFI, see the related documents section.

What other steps can be taken to correct this issue?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using a domain admin account to do the backup?  If not, can you try it?

Rui_Sintra
Level 2

I too have the same issue, tried the solution posted above and still get same warning message.

I am using Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 on Windows server 2008 64BIT Std.

Planning to uninstall backup exec and do a clean install again.

Liveseyche
Not applicable

I have also been having the same issue.  I'm running BE2010 R2.  The jobs are all configured to use a Domain Admin account (double checked after reading the post) and i've tried the registry key.  Is there any other way besides uninstalling/reinstalling Backup Exec or just excluding the system state?

Rui_Sintra
Level 2

After removing Backup Exec 12.5 and re-installing the problem is still there.

I have done the suggested steps above again bu the end result is the same.

Any update on this issue please?

SA
Level 3

The solution worked for me under Backup Exec 2010 R2 (running on a server that has uEFI), but the registry key has changed in R2 to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Shadow Copy Components\

(This is not a remote agent, this exception was occurring on the backup server itself.)

mgenaro
Not applicable

We are receiving the same messages.

Tried the registry change but began to have backups fail all together.

Backup begins but hangs at different locations.

Debug shows the following repeated over and over:

BKUPEXEC: [03/07/11 17:10:32] [0033]     [Info] VSN received: type = ACTJOBEX_UPDATE

BKUPEXEC: [03/07/11 17:10:32] [0033]     [Debug] VSN is a MODIFY

GHemard
Level 2

Here it is: 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126412

Regards,

G

Jacek_D
Level 2

This article (TECH126412) does not solve the problem. Backup Exec 2010R3, Windows 2008 Server, IBM x3650M3.

When I try to run full backup server, I still get the message:

"VSS Snapshot warning. File %BeBootDrive%\bootmgr is not present on the snapshot."

After that *.dr file is not created.

Regards

JacekD

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If using Windows 2008 you should have the 100MB utility partition in your disk management which does not have any drive letter assigned.

As concequence it cannot be included in the VSS snapshots and this is why you see this error. Simply assign a drive letter to this partition and try again

Davide_Russo
Level 4

Hello,

I have the same issue with Backup Exec 2010 R3 under Small Business Server 2011 (Server 2008 R2).

Simon B. can you tell me how i can assign a drive letter to the hidden partition (100MB)? When i run the diskmgmt.msc i see the hidden partition with 100MB, but with the right button of the mouse i can not assign any drive letter to this preserved hidden partition.

I have stpend a lot of time with this issue, but Backup Exec always says File %BeBootDrive%\bootmgr is not present on the snapshot.

Thanks for your answer.

SBK

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I was under the impression that you simply can assign the drive letter in disk management, at least in server 2008(r2), maybe the behavior was changed in SBS.

You should however be able to assign the drive letter via diskpart:

diskpart

list disk

select disk #

list partition

select partition #

assign letter=X 

Davide_Russo
Level 4

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the fast answer, with diskpart assign a drive letter was very easy thanks!

But the problem with the bootmgr still persist :(

Thanks SBK

Randy_W
Level 3

Tried the ASR registry fix.  Deleting the System State from the backup job and respecifying it.  Still get the same error.  Backing up a IBM x3650 M3.  Running Backup Exec 2010 SP1 on the backup server.  I'd say this issue warrants a hotfix.