cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 failing on folder contents..... V-79-57344-65078

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

Hi

We are having problems with backups failing on some of our backup jobs. On certain folders on the particular file server we see the error:

"V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \{sharename}\{foldername1}\{foldername2} and its subdirectories.

Note: Click 'Edit Selection List...' to display the View Selection Details tab of the job's selection list. Select the entry with the directory that no longer exists and click Delete to remove it."

However it's worth pointing out that that the folders reported by the job vary from day to day!

I've seen a few posts on the forum about this being related to the folders no longer existing, except in this case they actually do! I have checked all folder permissions to ensure that Domain Admins have Full Control on all files and folders, and also that the account the BE software runs under has full permissions too. I've checked that SYSTEM has Full Control as well.

In case it's an issue with the job itself, we have created the job on a different BE Server and having created it, and immediately run it, the job is still failing. I've checked that no anti virus scans are running at the time the backup job runs. I've run a read only CHKDSK to see if there are any disk errors, and none are reported. So I'm completely stumped with this. The server we're trying to backup is a Windows 2008 x64 SP1 ESX virtual machine.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and can they offer any advice?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

I ended up raising a call with Symantec, and after trawling through quite a few settings, the solution was to enable VSS on these drives. The drives are big (1.5-4Tb) but so far VSS is working as expected, and we have not seen the errors any more.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up over shares or using remote agent backups - just wondering about your reference to {sharename} in your path?

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

have you seen this:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78384

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What are you backing up too? Tape or a disk target?

Reason for asking is that Symantec has some stringent requirements when backing up to tape with the media server being a VM.

Please read below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

Hi

We are backing up using the remote agent - the top level folder and associated share that users' get have the same name.

I have seen the TECH78384 article and I don't believe that is the issue. We are backing up the whole drive so have no individual folder/file selections in place.

The Media Server is not a VM - only the remote server is. We are backing up to tape though.

Thanks

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Post a screenshot of the selection list and more errors from job log

also check win event viewer on target server at time of failure.

This may help to isolate and fix the issue..

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

Hi

The event logs on the target have the following event log errors:

"Error 57481 -

An unusual error (21) was encountered while enumerating the contents of the directory:

{full UNC path of server, drive, and file structure}

It is possible that files or subdirectories have not been backed up. Please examine your job log or catalogs to ensure this directory tree was backed up in its entirety.

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml"

I'll put a selection list up when I can. Thanks

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

I am unable to get a screenshot uploaded as I don't have access to a web server here, but I can confirm the servername and drive name have blue diagonal slashes through the check box, and the top level folder, in which the backups are failing, and all lower level folders have blue ticks in the check box.

I hope this helps.

Edited to attach file

VJware
Level 6

slash usually mean that atleast a single file/folder is excluded or de-selected

EDIT*** Check under View by Selection details for any exclusions or directories...Also, try creating a new selection list...if you are not excluding or deselecting anything, ensure it shows up as a tick instead of a slash

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

Thanks - the only things excluded are RECYCLE BIN and System Information, as per the screenshot - so I think everything else should be included ok?

We did try a new selection list - on a completely different BE server, but backing up the exact same files, and it did the same....

Colin_Weaver

Is anything to do with DFSR involved with this data area?

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

No, these are purely file server shares which users access via mapped drives. There's no Windows Clustering or any replication/duplication.

Austin_Arnold
Level 3

I ended up raising a call with Symantec, and after trawling through quite a few settings, the solution was to enable VSS on these drives. The drives are big (1.5-4Tb) but so far VSS is working as expected, and we have not seen the errors any more.