cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS and OFO

Holger_Fitz
Level 2
After a backup job there is an error message indicating thet there are problems with the cleanup of vss snapshots. But I can find nothing.
Error Message:
"Sichern- Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?ComponentsBeim Reinigen von Schnappschußdatenträgern ist ein unerwarteter Fehler aufgetreten. Überprüfen Sie, ob alle Schnappschußdatenträger ordnungsgemäß mit den ursprünglichen Datenträgern neu synchronisiert wurden."

The Environment is BackupExec v10.0d. Veritas StorageFoundation is also installed.

Please Help.

With best regards

Holger Fitz
4 REPLIES 4

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Holger!

If that's a system state backup then do you get any issues while backing up with NTBAckup.exe? Please paste the output of the job log here.

Also run SGMon.exe while running the backup with bews. Make sure you check all the check boxes in SGmon.exe. Paste the problematic part from SGMon which you suspect was logged when the issue during the backup occured.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276343

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Holger_Fitz
Level 2
Hello,

I found that article earlier, but I don't think it's helpful. Or may be I misunderstood some of the phrases.

For it seems all in best order on my system.

Any ideas?

With best regards

Holger Fitz

Holger_Fitz
Level 2
Hello,

it seems that the error message was provoked by a very different problem.

I found an error message in the system event log after reboot stating that vxboot failed to import a diskgroup. That group was a relict from the installation and deletet long ago.

I removed the remaining registry key as described in the VSFW_AdminGuide:

Error message “vxboot- failed to auto-import disk group repltest_dg.
All volumes of the disk group are not available.”
The situation that causes the error message is that disks from a dynamic disk group in
VSFW have been removed without being deported, deleted, or converted to basic disks.
The next time the computer is rebooted, VSFW expects to find these disks so that the disk
group can be autoimported and when the disks are not there, the error message is
generated.
Even when you have uninstalled VSFW and reinstalled it again, information about the
disk group is retained in the registry because it is needed in upgrading from one version
of the program to the next.
If you are not planning to use the disk group again, you need to remove the record of that
disk group from the registry; otherwise, you will continue to get this message on reboot.
Here are the steps to do so:
1. Run the command Regedit to bring up the Registry Editor window.
2. Locate the reference to the disk group in the registry. It is under the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vxio\
Boot Info\Disk Group 1, Disk Group 2, ...
3. The disk groups are not listed by the actual name, only by a general name of Disk
Group 1, Disk Group 2, and so on. To determine which disk group to delete, click the
general name to see a further listing that includes the actual name of the disk group.
4. Once you have determined which disk group to delete, highlight its general name
(such as Disk Group 2) and hit the Delete key.

Then I set the options for OFO to "Microsoft Volume Shadow Service" and selected "System - Microsoft Schattenkopie-Anbieter (Software) verwenden".

And last night the job run without errors.

I think we can close the question.

Thanks for help.

Holger Fitz