Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify backups using de-duplication

milty99
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi,

I know that best practice is to verify backups, and to schedule them after data de-duplication has finished. Is it advisable to verify the optimized duplication of the backups i.e the replication of the backups. In my case BE 210 using OST to Puredisk server over a 2MB link. The verify seems to want to pull all of the data i.e rehydrate the data over that 2MB link to do the verification. The backup replication to the puredisk server takes approx 1hour but the verification has never finished in time for the next nights backup. We are deploying a good number of these configurations on our site to elliminate tape at our remote sites, but if we verify the solution seems to be unworkable.

Has anybody any recommedations or best practices for this solution?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
You do NOT verify dedupped data in any way shape or form...  As you've experienced, it will rehydrate the data.  Typically in all cases software or hardware based dedupe, there is an internal verify process that is run.

And Backup 2 Disk also does not have to be verified either.  Only tape is recommended as that is the most problem prone media.  With B2Dyou have NTFS file checking, and RAID card validation, thus the media is pretty solid.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6
You do NOT verify dedupped data in any way shape or form...  As you've experienced, it will rehydrate the data.  Typically in all cases software or hardware based dedupe, there is an internal verify process that is run.

And Backup 2 Disk also does not have to be verified either.  Only tape is recommended as that is the most problem prone media.  With B2Dyou have NTFS file checking, and RAID card validation, thus the media is pretty solid.