cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas 8.6 failing.

Josh_McSwain
Level 2
I'm using Veritas version 8.6 and have added new machines to be backed up. After adding these machines Veritas seems to be working and backing them up, but I get the following error:

Unable to initialize Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 - performing standard backup

in the system log and it says that it failed. Any help would be great.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to install the RemoteAgent on the newly selected machines.

If you already have, check to see that you can ping both ways by IP and by Name

Josh_McSwain
Level 2
Where can I get the remote agent from?
Is it on the Backup Exe. Disk?
Do I need to purchase it?

I'm sorry these sound like stupid questions, but I have no idea and I just started working with the software. Thanks for your help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
on the Instal media, drill down to (I think)
..\Agents\RAWS or
..\Agents\RANT

Take the CD to each machine, or share it out and run setupaa.cmd on each new machine.

Carlos_Ramos
Level 3
i am having the same problem, the backup fails but i notice that all of the data apears to have been written. Veritas complains it has failed but has it really failed? the thing is... my company isn't really into spending any money in software licenses anymore, and an agent for windows costs money. I only need to backup one single file in a remote host nothing more. Can i trust that has long has the file shows up in the restore list of veritas it has been backed up ok? even if it says failed?

thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes

All "FAILED" means is that all the data that was selected was not backed up, not htat no data was backed up.

As long as the file that you need appears in the Restore Catalog, you should be covered

You could also script up something to copy the file to the media server before the backup starts.